50s Starter Panel (Ferret/Saracen/Champ,etc.)

Starfire

Hi All,

I've got a parts vehicle Ferret that I've not tried to get running yet. One of the reasons is that the starter panel has been fitted with a key lock and I don't have a key for it. The previous owner didn't either, as it's been mangled a bit with a screw driver or something.

Is there a trick to removing it? I know that I bypass it and hotwire the vehicle, but I'd rather have it removed.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry is the number not stamped on the front face? The patter is "FV" plus that number. Although FV does not match the FV pattern used on classic cars.

The catch of course is that the key doesn't turn. It just goes in & allows the start switch to then turn. I have only recently fitted a barrel to mine. I had a dress rehearsal & the darn thing slipped in & I can't get it out. So I would be interested to know the answer myself. I was lucky because I did find an FV key that fitted.

Bit of nightmare with no key, but as suggested Key number is usually stamped into the front of the barrel. If you are completely stuck, you can remove the barrel from the inside.

First off remove the starter switch lever, light switch and panel light knobs.

Back plate comes off quite easily, although you will have to ease the wires through the rubber grommets to give you enough slack to work with. Each cable is attached to a screw terminal inside, and they are all numbered so it's easy to refit them later.

The inner plate then unscrews, there's 4, round the edge. There is also a connecting tab into the panel light switch which needs to be undone.

Once this is out of the way, you can see the back of the lock switch. There is a small spring fits in here and extra care is required to keep all the tabs and bits in the right order, because they fit into the back of the barrel to make it lock.

The barrel is held in place by a small pin which locates into the side of the casing. What should happen is you push the pin inwards and withdraw the barrel out the front.

Now the downside!! without the correct key to release the tumblers, the only way to remove the barrel is to drill down the middle and shake the broken bits out. That said, once removed the whole thing can be put back together without the barrel and it will work fine.

When a replacement barrel with key is acquired, it can simply be pushed into the lock and the securing pin will click into place. No need for further dismantling

• 7 months later...