Photo request - Ferret controls linkage

njjeeper

Hi again! I am in need of more photos to continue to assembly of my puzzle project. Does anyone have pics of the control linkage and rods? In particular the relay levers on the front of the front left bevel box, the accelerator linkage, the forward/reverse lever mount/linkage, the gear change pedal and the shifter linkage?

Many of the online interior pics I have found are of assembled vehicles and the linkage and mounts are obscured by other parts. The manuals are not detailed enough in the diagrams to help me figure out what the pieces look like assembled. Any help is much appreciated!

TJ

Here's the linkages drawing from the Parts List. It's quite good. It's a large file so you can zoom in.

Linkages from Parts Manual.pdf

Setting these linkages up from scratch to get the best action is quite fiddly as the multiple turnbuckles make them so adjustable. I had a problem with the throttle linkage setup on a Ferret preventing the carb going WOT. Here's a sketch I did trying to understand the problem that may help you. Ignore all the scribbling, just look at the orientation of the bell cranks in the RIGHT SETUP.

Throttle Linkage problem.jpg

The important thing about the gear change pedal linkage is to have at least 1/4" clearance, preferably more, between the hull floor and the pedal when you hear the struts in the gearbox click into and out of the busbar during gear changes.

Also, ensure some clearance between the fully-up pedal and the stop on the floor when in first gear .

The attached shows these.

Gear change Linkage problem.jpg

The setup of the gear selector linkage is also important obviously. One of the manuals has good instructions for this. I assume you have the manuals.

I have some photos if you need more info.

Malcolm

Throttle linkage problem.pdf

Edited by sexton

A word of caution on the linkage question here is appropriate I feel, especially on this side of the pond.

If for any reason you entertain the idea of firing any weapon from a Ferret and you do not have control over the discharge of the spent casings then expect to have a linkage problem sometime later on in time at the most inconvenient moment and it will really catch you out and likely cause you a brown trousers moment.

We have fired 7.62 from a Mk 2/3 and the casings took a while to worm their way down in the vehicle and roll around and eventually cause problems.

Have fun kids but it always costs!

Robin