British Military Vehicle Badge Plates

Michael0064

Hi there!

Does anyone know when the practice of badging British Military vehicles under the bumper was stopped?

I recall seeing vehicles in the late 1960s or early 1970s with a square badge plate fixed to the under side of vehicles traveling from the local barracks.

I believe the practice was stopped when the IRA were thought likely to target certain regiments though I can't remember when.

An answer would solve an argument which has been unresolved for some time! :?

Many thanks Paul

Paul,

The discontinueing of unit and formation signs was more to do with the change to Infrared resistant paint, the colourful signs would have compromised it. Certain units did still use them but they were mainly those on display, recruiting or ceremonial duties. I think they were removed around 1976 onward. Clive will no doubt clarify this with all his records.

I think it was as a result of the Defence White Paper of 1975 to introduce a "One Army Concept" this was implemented in stages for the various unit & regiments during 1977. This was so that the TAVR were seen to be more integrated. At this stage small white ID appeared on the wing eg SOW/123 or SE/345 etc.

The other point is that the fancy badges etc gave away the operational activities of various units that could of use to an enemy. These prohibitions are now enshrined in the Joint Service Road Transport Regulations JSP341.

However some units to this day defy the Regulations, Scottish units quite proudly display the Cross of St Andrew on their vehicles in war zones. Although I can well understand the justifiable pride associated with these markings I would have thought from an intelligence gathering point of view they were counter productive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Clive and Kewelde

Many thanks for the clarification!

After posting my query I noticed that a posting by someone under the ARTIST RIFLES tag mentioned the details I was looking for some clarification on.Though this does provide additional reinforcement of the same message.

Of equal interest to me is the question of when the British Army adopted the current NATO helmet and uniform. I recall soldiers in my childhood still wearing the old Second World War pattern steel type helmet.

Lastly does any one know when the Belgium FN rifle was adopted for general use too? I am writing of childhood experiences and clarification on these further points would be very useful too?

• 2 years later...

Michael -

Apologies for the necropost - I only just noticed this thread.

The FN Fal was introduced to British Military Service on or about 1954 as the "Rifle, 7.62 x 54mm, L1A1", and was more commonly known as the SLR, or Self Loading Rifle. Its' replacement, the Rifle, L85 (SA-80) began replacing the SLR and other weapons of the time (SLR, SMG, LMG) from around 1985 (hence the L85 designation). Full changeover from the SLR to the L85 was achieved by around 1994, once all TA units had finally been re-equipped.

My old unit was re-equipped in around 1993, if I recall correctly - I oversaw the process, as I was the Company Armoury Storesman at the time.