Conqueror arv winch testing

Dear All,

I thought members might like to see pics of the REME Museum's Conqueror ARV having its winch tested. Note the deep hole the spade dug in the ground.

The Conqueror was pulling against the Centurion ARV with its spade dug in. It is very hard to provide an anchorage to resist the 45 ton's pull of the Conqueror's winch.

The purpose of the test was to determine if the new drive system could develop the full 45 ton's of pull, set the electromechanical cut-out and to roughly calibrate and test the new winch load indicator. It does pull the full load, the cut-out is set (although I have since disturbed it). However, the winch load indicator requires further development which is now nearly complete.

Once everything is working correctly the whole system will be inspected by the 'competent person' and then certified.

JohnCENT DUG IN.jpg

CONQ SPADE 1.jpg

CONQ SPADE 2.jpg

CONQ SPADE 3.jpg

CONQ SPADE 4.jpg

CONQ SPADE 5.jpg

CONQ SPADE 6.jpg

Dear All,

I should have added thanks to Glen Freer and Andy Trimmer for helping me get the winch to work and Toby SB for helping me do the winch testing and much else besides.

John

Thanks for posting pics..very interesting,, makes my 10,000 lb GMC winch a bit weedy... could have done with your winch here a few days ago in rural North Essex.. , a fully laden HGV artic , veered off the road into a ditch, resting at a 40 degree angle parallel to the road,,well stuck...Its recovery involved 2 x 600 BHP HGV recovery vehicles lots of winching, strops round mature Oak trees , snatch blocks galore ..chains ..large shackles...and cups of tea ( my Job ).. A fascinating exercise in solving a tricky recovery that took 12 hours !!! ( the first recovery truck had to call for more help after he failed after 5 hours )