Piston ring file

terryo

Hi everyone , over the coming winter I will be rebuilding my dodge T214 engine and will be fitting a new set of piston rings , I need the use of a piston ring file , I am wondering if anyone has one they're not using or where I might find one for sale in the uk ? Thanks

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry, do you just want the file or the jig as well?. If it's just the file then any new flat needle file will do the job you can get them from hobby shops for not very much money. The key is to put the ring carefully in the vice with the absolute minimum protruding above the jaws and file on the forward stroke only. Take a couple of light cuts off one side then turn the ring round and take a couple of light strokes of the the other side replace in the bore and re measure, You do not want to remove very much material at a time, make sure the ends are square with no sharp points. If you want a jig do a Google search, they are not cheap and not worth the investment if you are only doing this once.

Pete

Hi pete , I was thinking of just maybe buying the grinding stone wheel and getting my dad who is a toolmaker to make the jig and wind in handle from the pics on the net , will be rebuilding the original engine as it's out of the truck now and we have a rough second hand engine in there at the moment so the truck is still useable and will probably do that engine up as a spare when the original one is back in so will be doing 12 pistons worth of rings in total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk