land rover 88" 04 hH 09

mouldy

04HH09 (1).pdfi bought this land rover just before xmas with the intention of getting a road legal series for the summer months, everything went ok with sorting the few issues mainly down to neglect as she sat under a leaky plastic sheet for more than 9 years and the reason she is now called mouldy, mainly due to the stink of two rotten tilts and years of stored squirrel nuts and mice **** :-X

It was only during getting the floor plates lifted to replace a broken gear lever when things didn't add up well to me at least.The gearbox has a new style rebuild plate IMG_0713.jpg

i have only seen the brass versions on early series gearboxes i found the rebuild plate on the engine showing a 1985 date

IMG_0741.jpg

The chassis has been replaced with a heavy duty one and is still in almost perfect condition

IMG_0709.jpg

the leaf springs and shocks still have there stickers in place

IMG_0746.jpg

and obviously she was given a decent respray in no land rover or military blue as far as i can find

DSC01112.jpg

after doing some searching i found out she wasn't registered until 2000 then wasn't used on the roads after early 2003 the last time she had tax, i put her back road legal on may 24th 2014. i got the original army reg from the chassis number actually wrong on the V5 and used that to get a copy of her military card which shows she was in the army for nearly 18 years. having asking on seriouslyseries.co.uk a refuge for leaf sprung land rovers and all things manly they recommend i ask here if anyone can give some insight to it's probable life with the services.i won't bore you anymore with lots of photos but there's a link to the album if your like me and sick of football before it starts.

thanks in advance for any help

michael

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b469/michaelwhitelin/moldy%20the%20series%203/PICT0813-1.jpg

Edited by mouldy

04HH09 (if correctly identified) would have been manufactured abt. 1980/81

The spring label , indicates a non-genuine (replacement part) 9 leaf front that would have been original fit.

The rears would in comparison to a 88" civvy , be fitted with heavy duty 7 leaf rears (as rear seats for 4 squddies fitted) , HD shocks would be fitted all round.

It would be fitted with a NATO towing pack , the front would have (as it does) a De-luxe rolled edge deep dished bonnet (due to 6.50x16 tyres fitted & spare not tub mounted , std. civvy would be 6.00x16. A civvy. 88" basic as standard had a "razor edge" bonnet.

Plus a few other minor differences (accessories).

Such as a "HH" would have 11" drum brakes , dual-line circuit , prior to abt. 1980 - they were 10" front on single line.

What you have in MOD parlance is a 88" CL (commercial logistics) , now quite rare esp. the later 11" front braked.

I have never seen a late one with a full nomenclature plate , just a small plate on seat-base (drivers entry).

I would have to check the exact words , more or less TRUCK UTILITY 88" WITH TRAILER TOWING ATTACHMENT , but as I said - I doubt if your was ever fully plated up.

There's a small plate on the drives she came with five 650's, the 11" drum and duel circuit brakes work fantastically for a land rover.Theres olive drab under some of the dash and rear light covers but they stripped her down to metal on the outer panels, i haven't checked if the tow lights were converted from standard military pin when she was rebuilt, would she have had a normal tilt with ariel holes ? would the bench seats have been fitted from factory ? i am starting to relies that she is a little unusual ( but not ebay rare :laugh: ) thank you. IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Edited by mouldy
[URL=http://s1046.photobucket.com/user/michaelwhitelin/media/moldy%20the%20series%203/IMG_0750.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1046.pho

The lighting lenses etc. would be civvy. spec. just a NATO harness & socket (these are all yellow wires with tags)

I don't think yours would have had a ammeter , mine is 07GN11 DIS Jan. 1978 and does.

Possibly you may have a bonnet lock hasp ?

-do- Petrol filler cap lock hasp ?

Probably brake & clutch pedal rubbers , but not accelerator.

Chamois leather gaiters on front axle chrome ball swivels.

That is about the lot. O'h I think the front tow-rings that you have were factory fit , earlier ones - don't think factory fit , many were retro-fit.

HH would be Army , KA was start of Tri-service.

The RAF had some late ones like yours , on 7.50 tyres , diesel engines, RAF nominal BUT were used by USA forces , weapons store armed guards.

ISTR the RAF had some 88" CL's , like Lightweights the used hard-tops with the mil. raised position type side glass , don't think this was a civvy option , possibly was ?

Rear Safari type doors , mainly air-crew taxi , like Lightweights - you can tell these by the stove in tub floors , bottom under door is most often 1" to 1.1/2" lower than it should be.

Army tended to use them with RMP , IIRC hard-top as well as full hood. Driver training used them , full hood , front wings always plenty bumps.

AFAIK , rear bench seats were always factory build spec.

Edited by ruxy

The lighting lenses etc. would be civvy. spec. just a NATO harness & socket (these are all yellow wires with tags)

I don't think yours would have had a ammeter , mine is 07GN11 DIS Jan. 1978 and does.

Possibly you may have a bonnet lock hasp ?

-do- Petrol filler cap lock hasp ?

Probably brake & clutch pedal rubbers , but not accelerator.

Chamois leather gaiters on front axle chrome ball swivels.

That is about the lot. O'h I think the front tow-rings that you have were factory fit , earlier ones - don't think factory fit , many were retro-fit.

HH would be Army , KA was start of Tri-service.

The RAF had some late ones like yours , on 7.50 tyres , diesel engines, RAF nominal BUT were used by USA forces , weapons store armed guards.

ISTR the RAF had some 88" CL's , like Lightweights the used hard-tops with the mil. raised position type side glass , don't think this was a civvy option , possibly was ?

Rear Safari type doors , mainly air-crew taxi , like Lightweights - you can tell these by the stove in tub floors , bottom under door is most often 1" to 1.1/2" lower than it should be.

Army tended to use them with RMP , IIRC hard-top as well as full hood. Driver training used them , full hood , front wings always plenty bumps.

AFAIK , rear bench seats were always factory build spec.

it has a bonnet and fuel filler hasp, the lights are mix of military and civilian i guess some of the original ones were damaged and replaced,the rubbers i thought were aftermarket :D i haven't got a good photo of the front gaiters but there complete and undamaged as far as i can see.as for bumps she is remarkable straight for her age.oh and no extra dials.IMG_0745.jpgDSC00950-3.jpgDSC01108.jpg