Interesting files at the the National Archives

Old Git

I was doing a bit of research at the National Archives on Tuesday and trying like buggery to get through the list I had in a reasonable time so I could get off home before the rush hour and the tube strike! Anyways, last few minutes and I have a quick search for a couple items that I may want to look at next time and I turn up two files with interesting titles. The first one was the dumping of surplus equipment, at the end of WWII, in coal mines, with locations; and the second file was about some gold that was dumped in a canal in Belgium in 1940, presumably when the BEF was making for Dunkirk!

As I say it was dying minutes of the day and I had to get a wriggle on so didn't have time to order them up for a looksee but I've been wondering about them ever since? I'm off skiing tomorrow for a week so it'll be after the 24th before I can get back but I'm gagging to know what's in both of them. Anyone here ever come across them, know if they're worth a butchers?

Pete

Pete

I think the file on dumping in coal mines will be of interest to the radio community if you can publish the details. I remember a long running thread on this topic on the vintage and military amateur radio society mailing list some years ago although I doubt even if the locations are found anything can be retrieved in restorable condition :(

Thanks & Regards

Iain