Engine running questions

pop larkin

I have been over and sorted a bit on my engine today. it was ticking horrendously while running, so I have set the tappits and solved that problem. Also it was running rough, as I had some water go through the filters when it was laid up for a while, so I have stripped and cleaned the carb, but it still doesn't seem to be overly smooth.

It ticks over perfectly, but when you rev it it wants to die or misses a bit before revving up. The accelerator pump is working fine, but it seems to be mixture related. It will run with the mixture screw all the way in, and to get it to run smoothly I have to have the choke about 1/4-1/2" out.

Anybody got any bright ideas :dunno:

When you say you have striped the carb, have you had all the jets and the emulsion tube out ? these normally are the things to get blocked up with either water or a bit of muck, make sure all the drillings are clean and clear, what about the fuel pump, is it working properly ?

R Cubed

Yes, all jets and tubes removed and cleaned through. I had the top off the fuel pump and cleaned the filter gauze inside when I first sucked the crap up. I also had it off today and it was all still clean. It managed to re-prime itself and fill the empty float chamber, so I am guessing its OK. Once you get the revs up it will run fine, its just the initial rev. Has anyone tried adjusting the govenor successfully? It does state in the manual that flat spots could be caused by a mis-adjusted govenor, but I don't want to mess with that unless I have to.