Generator - Looking for Info

rob m

Can anybody identify the generator I recently got hold of? I would like to know the rough in-service dates, and who might have used it, and also what the stencils might mean. I am getting bits of kit together to display with my Series3 FFR which I have fitted out as a CP wagon. Back in the 70s/80s in my TA life we were issued generators (charging engines?) as part of the CP kit to keep the radio batteries charged without running the vehicle. I was not a signaller so I never took much notice of them. The one I have acquired seems much bigger than I remember though! it would be a challenge humping it in and out of the trailer on a regular basis. So, what I would like to know is whether this genny was the standard issue to infantry /RA units for this purpose. If not , who would use it, and what should I be looking out for on Ebay. Questions, questions.... all information gratefully received! Cheers Rob (1984 Series 3 FFR LWB 75 KC 83) DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0747.jpg

DSCF0748.jpg

DSCF0749.jpg

DSCF0751.jpg

Hi Rob,

I remember repairing those in REME workshops in 70's/80's period, they were quite reliable provided you checked the oil. As it did not have an easy to check oil level, you needed a spanner, I have known them to seize a big end because of this. I think they were in general use for 24v battey charging and may have been the supersession for the BSA 300w chorehorse.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. I wondered what the captive spanner was for! It's obviously original, as it is broad-arrow stamped, and has the same abbreviations engraved on it as the genny.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. I wondered what the captive spanner was for! It's obviously original, as it is broad-arrow stamped, and has the same abbreviations engraved on it as the genny.

Cheers

Rob

The spanners would normally have been lost I reckon. Remember a unit bringing one in for repair (seized as normal) and it was lying on its side in the trailer. I pointed out that this is why the oil ran out and they locked up!

The markings are ex-RAF, Tactical Communications Wing (TCW) Ground Support Equipment (GSE). The ALR and Number are from the Ground Equipment Management System (GEMS). So TCW had at least 14 of these, the ALR type code does not stand for anything, it's just the next code in the list. The guys who did the type coding sometimes connected them i.e. the new Air Start Trolley was given the type code AST. TCW spent most of it's life at Brize Norton and is now at Leeming. Mark.