Wanted for film shoot ..Flying Egg helicopter

willysmb

Iv been asked if i can find a small flying egg type helicopter for a low budget film shoot for the YESTERDAY channel ...

Iv shot several reconstructions for "NARROW ESCAPES OF WW2" plus "BLACK OPPS" for the history Channel etc

the Director who is a old friend on mine is in need of a small UK (England) based helicopter ( Non Flying - main Body only if thats what you have ) to create the backdrop for a SAS type raid ...

Drop me a PM if you think that you may be able to help .

ken

• 3 weeks later...
If by 'Flying Egg' you mean the Gazelle AH1, you'll find a number in UK museums, or Withams had a fair few. The only other one that I can think of that looks like an egg would be the Hughes 500.

Found this..

The Hughes Helicopters 500 series was derived from the US military's OH-6A Cayuse, which first flew on 27 February 1963, and was chosen by the army as their preferred 'Light Observation Helicopter' (nicknamed 'Loach'). Many variations of the 500 family (aka: 369), were built from 1960s to 1990s, for military and civil use, and the 'flying egg' (as it's sometimes nicknamed) became one of the most popular helicopters ever seen in cinema and TV. Hughes Helicopters (founded by the legendary Howard Hughes), was bought out by McDonnell Douglas in 1984, though MD itself merged with Boeing in 1997, only for its commercial line to be sold off by Boeing two years later.

If by 'Flying Egg' you mean the Gazelle AH1, you'll find a number in UK museums, or Withams had a fair few. The only other one that I can think of that looks like an egg would be the Hughes 500.

Doubt it will be a Gazelle. Fails on the "small" criterion. I surprised myself a couple of weeks ago. I drive to and from work via a narrow country lane. One morning as I drove past a clearing, I saw a bright yellow fenestron tail that looked extremely like that of a Gazelle just the other side of the fence (hasten to point out the the rest of the helicopter was in fact attached). As I creamed past I barely had time to clock HAMPSHIRE (maybe?) AIR AMBULANCE on the side before it was gone. And to marvel at the pilot having got it into what was a rather small field.

Didn't rank anywhere near Capt Singer 14/20H att 3 Regt AAC who regularly liaised with the 15/19H battlegroup on the North German Plain. About 1978 I was standing in as RSM's driver. He had me take the Ferret to a very small clearing in a wood and Big Lou and I debated whether the clearing was big enough. Gazelle turned up and the downdraught as it lowered toward the clearing pushed the branches aside. No problem.

I didn't get the pleasure of watching him take off, but I guess he made it as I heard no reports of a helicopter crash and Capt Singer fronted up again next time out.

Doubt it will be a Gazelle. Fails on the "small" criterion. I surprised myself a couple of weeks ago. I drive to and from work via a narrow country lane. One morning as I drove past a clearing, I saw a bright yellow fenestron tail that looked extremely like that of a Gazelle just the other side of the fence (hasten to point out the the rest of the helicopter was in fact attached). As I creamed past I barely had time to clock HAMPSHIRE (maybe?) AIR AMBULANCE on the side before it was gone. And to marvel at the pilot having got it into what was a rather small field.

Didn't rank anywhere near Capt Singer 14/20H att 3 Regt AAC who regularly liaised with the 15/19H battlegroup on the North German Plain. About 1978 I was standing in as RSM's driver. He had me take the Ferret to a very small clearing in a wood and Big Lou and I debated whether the clearing was big enough. Gazelle turned up and the downdraught as it lowered toward the clearing pushed the branches aside. No problem.

I didn't get the pleasure of watching him take off, but I guess he made it as I heard no reports of a helicopter crash and Capt Singer fronted up again next time out.

What you were surprised-by was an EC135; considerably larger than the Gazelle, which, if you and your crew are 'big-boned' makes for a cosy cockpit. Imagine sitting in a Mini - one of the original Morris versions...

the Director who is a old friend on mine is in need of a small UK (England) based helicopter ( Non Flying - main Body only if thats what you have ) to create the backdrop for a SAS type raid ...

The SAS used to operate a small fleet of A109. Latterly they've had the use of Lynx 7 and 9, and Puma. You wouldn't get too many burly, moustacheod, heavily-armed gorillas in a Gazelle.

The MH-6 Little Bird based on the Hughes 500E was (and possibly still is) used by American special forces, three people could sit each side of the fuselage on a small bench type seat fixed to the outside of the helicopter. It was used, famously, in the Battle of Mogadishu(sp?) aka Black Hawk Down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD_Helicopters_MH-6_Little_Bird

I believe the is an MH-6 or OH-6 at the Helicopter Museum, although i could be wrong.

What you were surprised-by was an EC135; considerably larger than the Gazelle, which, if you and your crew are 'big-boned' makes for a cosy cockpit. Imagine sitting in a Mini - one of the original Morris versions...

TBH I thought it looked bigger than the Gazelles I remember. It isn't just me that's got bigger then.