Correct antennas

BRDM Driver

Can anyone tell me what the correct Clansman antennas are for a Scorpion with 2x353 clansman and an Abbot with 1x352 clansman?

Cheers.

The 353 (and iirc the 352) worked in the military VHF band, 30-76 MHz. The amount of antenna rod required for this frequency range was 2m (any more and the automatic antenna tuning unit (TUAAM = Tuning Unit, Automatic Antenna Matching iirc) would try and tune the antenna to more than the 1/4 wavelength they were designed to tune to.

I do remember that Larkspur used 4-foot rods, available as lower, middle and top sections, making 12 feet possible (for HF sets, lower frequency, longer wavelength). For a Larkspur VHF set, either a top and a middle or a middle and a bottom section would give the necessary 8 feet (but istr that middle and bottom looked remarkably ... mmm ... sturdy: aesthetically, a top and a middle was what you wanted).

I cannot now remember (less demand for HF with Clansman) whether Clansman rods came in top, middle and bottom sections, but as before you want two sections, giving you 2m of rod. Note that VHF waves are more sensitive to polarisation than HF, so the rods are always mounted vertically (it was normal when flying 12 feet of rod for the C13, to use a sloper to angle them so that the height of the rods was less cumbersome on the move).

I never saw Clansman in an Abbot so I don't know what the harness was like. Assuming that the 352 had a proper antenna base for the 352, the rules ought to be exactly the same. If, however, there was a special set-up, that is beyond my knowledge.