question, austin k9 radio lorry 1953

Billruston

Question? My K9's nearly done and restored, we have the old seats but there abit old and worn out, what other seats would go in? And military shops sell them (comftable ones) were trying to keep it as original as it can be but the wirelss body has no radio equipment so we might make it into a a camper? Is that sensible? Thanks.

Bill,

If it's just the cushions an upholsterer / trimmer should be able to make some new ones for you. If it's the seat bases you need something very shallow unless you want to cut the seat boxes on the floor away; I've used van seats e.g. Bedford Midi in the past.

The box body will convert to a camper but you need to think about the layout carefully as it's so small, and you have to be happy about not being able to stand up in it. Also it'll bring you into class IV MoTs as it won't be a goods vehicle any more, not that that's a problem as it should be roadworthy either way. If you're really worried about originality you can fit it out picking up on the original wireless kit mountings so you're not filling it full of extra holes, i.e. you can put it back to original if you want.