WWII US bomb detonated in Munich

Marmite!!

For those that missed it on the news..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19408929

An unexploded World War II bomb found in Munich has been detonated after a bomb disposal team said it could not be defused. The detonation happened shortly before 22:00 local time (20:00 BST) in the Schwabing district and was heard across the city, local media reported.

The bomb had been discovered on Monday night by building workers at the site of an old bar that was being demolished.

Experts said they decided it was not possible to defuse the 250kg (550lb) device because it did not have a mechanical fuse like others of its age, but one operated by means of a chemical reaction.

I wonder how long they had to get out as looking at the video, the windows where not protected in anyway, would of been a good idea to cover or at least tape up all windows to stop debris and glass entering their houses. Did make a nice bang tho.

I wonder how long they had to get out as looking at the video, the windows where not protected in anyway, would of been a good idea to cover or at least tape up all windows to stop debris and glass entering their houses. Did make a nice bang tho.

When I see it on the news it showed the buildings on fire after the blast :shocked:

I must admit after not going bang for 60+ years, I would risk it for a photo, defiantly made a mess but credit to them, all done safely and controlled, a lot better than to have risked lives by moving it. property can always be rebuilt. I was under the impression that water was used instead of sand now as it gave better dispersal?