Range Targets

Luke131

Hello all

In the past I have noticed that WW2 period and early post war tanks pulled off firing ranges , chiefly Salisbury plain were filled with concrete to eek out the time they can survive under the gun as targets .

Has any one any idea when this practice started?

Thanks

Luke

Thanks , I think that the concrete was used for the anti tank practice. Plus when did they start painting targets. I have seen some painted bright colours, others have the edges painted white to show off their out line more easily?

Thanks

Luke

i had been told that they've stopped using concrete filled targets as there was a problem with spalling when the concrete was hit, in other words they don't want chunks of concrete flying round the range. which is great news for those amongst us that are daft enough to want to try and save a few old targets. whilst i'm on the subject does anyone know of a concrete filled target that has been restored

rick

When in green we did a lot of work on range targets toget them to last a bit longer. modern tank ammunition will tear a tank target to pieces in pretty short order. The bottom line on concrete filled tanks is that it does not extend the life of the target to any great effect. It is better to place the target front on so that the thickest part of the armour is facing the firing gun. I know what you are going to say - why didn't they dothat then? It seem that the range staff who place these things are only concerned with placing them not making them a realistic target.

How many times have you seen a Chieftain on the range with the gun in the clamp? It would be far better with the turret front so that the main armour ofthe turret is facing the firer. Not a difficult job all you need to do is attach a line to the end of the barrel and pull it round with a Land rover orsimilar. The clutch in the traverse gearbox will slip and permit this to happen. We also built targets made from large diameter concrete pipe sections filled with reinforced concrete again these only worked well if practice natures were fired at them.

As for the different colours - quite a few reasons for this. To make them more visible, to designate closeness to arcs of fire, to indicate that the target is not to be engaged (on German ranges they usually put a red board in front) Theyare also painted yellow or other bright colour so that aircraft can see them as the centre of the target area.

Of course when Chieftain was withdrawn the MOD had hundreds of targets to put on the range so maybe the need for them to last was not deemed necessary.

Edited by challenger

Great pics from Lulworth I see these from the range walks albeit from the boundry line. The Chieftain driver trainer looks a little forelorn. It wasnt long ago I use to see them drive past my house leaving trail of smoke!

Got any more close up shots of targets?

Thanks for replies

Luke

One or two

But there are faces in them...

The Saxon is hidden and complete , very much a prototype..

No WW11 stuff

DSC01349Large.jpg

Lovely, just out of the Shop, still had all the tags on internal parts

DSC01350Large.jpg

Other side , facing the firing point.