Clansman 350 Battery Packs

Pete

I've got three of the C cell type packs for my 350, but I can't get any power up to the terminals on any of them. I'm using civvy rechargeable C cells (14 off) which are all charged and checked on a meter. They are all installed correctly, and the lid is put on the right way (it's keyed.). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

the battery pack come apart very quickly with a screwdriver. take off the cover and there are 7 long screws holding it together, power is transferred from the radio connections to the base board via one. wiggle the screws then try to power up the radio. if that doesn't work take it apart and check the connections, you can't really go wrong.

:)

j

The other problem I have had with 350 batteries (both the c-cell and sealed rechargeable variants) is the contacts on the top being compressed too far to touch the studs on the radio - if so the voltage measured across the battery terminals with a meter is ok but the radio works intermittently or not at all - then bending them out a little should cure that

Regards

Iain

Thanks Iain.

I've just spent some time getting the screw connections working. Swapping the batteries around also helped. The problem seems to be the lid side of things, as I still can't get any power to the terminals. It beats me, as by rights it should be working. Everything is clean, and the batt's are new.

Pete

Probably the only other thing to do is to trace the connections with an ohm meter one set of contacts at a time - I can't see a way to investigate it in the assembled state other than by drilling holes to get at the links between tubes of cells with voltmeter probes :( If all the individual links at top and bottom of the case have continuity when tested then it may also be worth trying a different brand of c-cell or packing the tubes with a coin in case the cells you have are slightly too short and don't make contact reliably when the case is fully closed up (I have had that issue with other battery packs than Clansman in the past - the problem is worse when the negative contact in the pack is a flat plate rather than a spring, in my experience)

Regards

Iain

I got all of the bottom contacts working by swapping the batt's around, so maybe you're right about the brand I'm using (Lidl rechargeables) not being a good fit. Mind you, some of them are now slightly dented by the lid contacts. So it could be the + studs on them are a tad short. Looks like the next thing to try is pieces of tin foil to pack out the + ends in each compartment.

Thanks for your input Iain.

Bingo! I've got one pack working. It looks like it didn't like some of the batteries. Just got another 10 C cells from Lidl (That's all that they had left after yesterdays raid, lol.). At least I've managed to test my pair of 350's on receive, just waiting for more batt's to charge and all being well I'll be able to test them on transmit too.

Thanks lads!