UNISSUED 1st Pattern 58 Patt Waterbottle Carriers.

Scotch Harry

Unlike the hoards of so called "RARE" 44 Patt Waterbottle carriers that are constantly on Ebay these i would say are much rarer and not often seen in unissued condition-or at least until i got these i had NEVER seen an usinssued one in many years of collecting.

Twist fastener 58 pattern waterbottle pouches have not been too common in recent years, although that doesn't mean there isn't an aircraft-hangar full of boxes of the things somewhere !!!! Same happened recently with 50s dated 44 pattern bino cases....never common...until a quantity were unearthed.....

As for 58 pattern ammo pouches.....the later production (I think from around 84 to the end of production) finally lost the small pouch on the side of the r/h pouch, originally intended for the "Energa" firing attachment for the SLR........some NOS examples of these later pouches still show the manufacturers scribed fitting marks for pouch attachment although these were ultimately never fitted........shame really, as the pouch was perfect for your KFS set......

I had always thought that 58 webbing ceased manufacture by 1988 when green PLCE was introduced.....but I've recently see a NOS genuine 58 belt dated 1990.......so perhaps manufacture continued parallel until say 90-91...???

I have seen some recent dated 58 belts. They felt as if they were more reproductions than continued manufacture. They were very flimsy and did not feel very strong.

They may have been reproductions made in china or somewhere, not up to the standard of the proper 58s

I have seen some recent dated 58 belts. They felt as if they were more reproductions than continued manufacture. They were very flimsy and did not feel very strong.

They may have been reproductions made in china or somewhere, not up to the standard of the proper 58s

There are indeed now copies of the 58 pattern belt in circulation, although the one recently seen was a genuine issue example......NSN marked, with contract number, and made by "RR" and dated "90".......I have examples of green 88-90 PLCE by this manufacturer and identically marked........

I guess as green PLCE did not enter manufacture until 88 onwards, 58 pattern may well have continued until at least 1990. Many troops continued using the 58 gear into the early 90s, some never receiving the green PLCE that was only in production between 88 and 90 until replaced by the DPM version.......

It was much the same with 58 pattern gear when introduced around 60-61......many troops, particularly TA, continued to use the old 37 pattern up to the late 60s.......generally, the newer types of kit were allocated to regular infantry units first, with second line, TA, etc, following once sufficient stocks became available......issues of DPM combat clothing for example, did not (officially) commence to the TA until 1974, some 4-5 years after regular units started to receive the gear....