Landrover's on withams online auction

27-KF-73

Has anyone purchased one of the many landrovers that have been going through the online auction on withams website?

At a starting bid 0f £900 or less and curious of the fact shortly before christmas i went to withams to investigate.

Once i arrived it became apparent why they were listed at such a low price but on closer inspection and although they had very minor parts missing some had very good chassis/bulkheads and recon engines,others not so good good in the bulkhead area but chassis seemed fairly sound.Even ones with wolf rims and various upgrade parts!

What is baffling me is the fact that most of these perhaps from the same regiment had been sitting outside for a very long time judging by the algae build up why abandon a useable vehicle and leave it to the elements

Is there a bargain to be had or better off left alone

heres a link regards tony.http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/40320/Land_Rover_90_GS_Soft_Top.htm

I haven't purchased a LR from Withams but I suspect newer vehicles will have replaced the ones being sold through W. Some might also have high mileages or require some kind of repair or been used for some type of training and are now surplus to requirements. You have done one thing right though you have at least visited Withams to see what is available and what might look to be beyond saving or be uneconomical to repair.

Slightly of tangent a local TA centre has had a couple of Bedfords sat in the same place for a number of years, at some point they will be collected for W or scrapped.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine has just bought a 90 hard top from there just before the christmas period . It had a recon 2.25na with wolf rims . And its had a recent paint job .. He was a member serving at the time he got this ! So asked the reme to inspect it and advised him to remove the 24v generator and battery box . Apart from that its a good solid rover . I've had a drive and apart from the clutch pedal being quite high for me being 6ft 3 it was a pleasure to drive . Brought back some good and bad memories :)

He plans to seal the chassis and paint the inside and sound proof the cab..