40's Dance at Allied Forces!

Just back from Jims and his 'hanger dance'. Pictures to come but what I dont know about the Lindy Hop isn't worth talking about - let me explain.

The Lindy Hop is an American social dance, from the Swing dance family. It evolved in Harlem, New York City in the 1920s and '30s and originally evolved with the jazz music of that time.

Cracking night at Jims dance. I have never really been to a dance before but was invited by Jim. The only brief was just to war 40's era clothes - everything else was provided.

I can't dance, don't understand the moves but the promise of a good night out was to much to stay at home - 4.5 hours later arrived at Jims to a really nice entrance of mv's laid out nicely and a burly MP on the gate. It was a private affair and you could tell it was by the ambience. Sandwiches, cake and tea and coffee was provided free of charge and the bar operated with an honesty box.

I think we were all pretty blown away by it as it worked perfectly, great music and great to see everyone except me dancing - the highlight of course was Jim (Fred Astaire) Clark cracking out his moves with Paula! Good to catch up many friends from far and wide and it was nice to have a chilled evening with like minded folks and great to see everyone who loves dancing dressing the part. There is a picture below of Jason dancing with his goodlady Rachel - I can't work out where she is in the picture but she is above his head :shocked:

Well done Jim and the team and as always - you pulled off a great time and thank you for the invite. Doing it again next year??????

40sdance024.jpg

40sdance025.jpg

Haven't seen Rowan for sometime - Dotty the Dodge on HMVF and looked fantastic in his suit!

40sdance032.jpg

Man of the moment - Jim and Paula!

40sdance035.jpg

40sdance038.jpg

40sdance041.jpg

Jason and Rachel....Rachel being somewhere in the first picture

40sdance054.jpg

40sdance058.jpg

Lindy Hop dance.....I think:blush:

40sdance064.jpg

40sdance063.jpg

Vehicle pool

40sdance069.jpg

40sdance070.jpg

And the bar

40sdance077.jpg

Nice to catch with fellow tanks drivers (I am part if the brotherhood after driving Adrains M10 at W&P :coffee: ) Mitch and Mike.

And I have to say I am rather intrigued with dancing...........I am thinking about lessons as actually I came away inspired and that was something I wasn't expecting...god help us all!

As Jack said it was a cracking night. Just to clarify the event was called "The Red Ball Motor pool 40s Bash" (Red Ball Restoration Ltd being Allied Forces sister company) It was staged in our front yard and the grain store served as the dance area. As it was my first attempt at putting on a dance it was by invite only, with about sixty guests attending.

I wanted to give the impresion of a motor pool and it seems to have worked well with lots of good feed back from people that attended. I will definately be putting it on again next year and on a bigger scale.

Here are a few more photos of the evening

REDBALLBASH2011044.jpg

REDBALLBASH2011062.jpg

REDBALLBASH2011074.jpg

REDBALLBASH2011056.jpg

REDBALLBASH2011049.jpg

REDBALLBASH2011077.jpg

Jim.