Hi From Oxfordshire

newage

Hi every body.

Just a short post, my main intrest is in airfield research.

I`m in the process of recording all the airfield Battle HQ`s through out the UK, so far it`s been a 3 year

task, with about 60 - 70 recorded.

I`m building an online data base that when it is put online will list all the underground BHQ`s that were

built (still intact or demolished).

All the sites I`v done so far have all be done with permission from land owners to the RAF and BAE systems

and many others.

So if any of you guys have any locations that you would not mind passing on that would be fantastic.

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Have you looked at Tempsford airfield at all? We're only about 3 miles away and I bike there regularly, the runways etc are off limits but you can still visit Gibraltar Farm barn where the agents used to receive their equipment before departing on missions. I have flown over it a couple of times, if I take the camera with me next time I'll get a few overhead shots, it's clear to see the layout from the air.

Regards,

Lewis

Hi Mate

Tempsford, thats interesting it`s in the right date range opened in 1941 but it`s not on my data base as

having anything there. I`ll have to get the site plan from RAF Hendon and see if anything is listed.

Why are the runways etc off limits?

The site that is driving me mad is Thurleigh in Bedfordshire, The DoB & Past scape data bases both list it

but it`s not on the site plan and I`v been there 3 times and can`t find it.

It was in good condition when the DoB survey was under taken but I can`t find the bloody thing.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

As far as I know there's not any Battle HQ there but it's still interesting nonetheless, a lot of the original buildings are gone now and only one hangar remains. The control tower has long gone unfortunately. The runways are coned off because the site belongs to a farmer, it would probably be okay if you approached him first.

I haven't really been over Thurleigh way, if I find out any information I'll pass it on. Presumably you have explored the whole site and still not found anything?

It may not relate to your airfield project but I have many pictures of the Beacon Hill Battery in Harwich if you'd be interested in seeing them, it was such an interesting place, left virtually untouched since it was closed in 1956.

Regards, Lewis