GMC, how can i tell if its a Norwegian one?

captain jim

Thats a very interesting question.

Some parts were made under license. I have a set of axles made in France under license and a Type III hydrovac made in France. Both were made by Bendix under license IIRC.

The Army was giving away so much material post war (and was quickly designing newer vehicles) that I don't think there was a need for a manufacturer of sheet metal (cabs, shop vans) to start production up.

I don't know of any shop van features that would allow you to pinpoint a WWII production vehicle from a post war one, if they were even made.

None of the GMC books mention 'French production' or 'Norwegian production' trucks. They were MODIFIED for specific purposes or civvy use, but nothing was mentioned about 'new production'.

They DID re-data-plate the CCKWs for local language. I have a set of French data plates, and a Norwegian CCKW manual that show specific countries language.

If it were in use by Norway I have often seen the addition of a window shade type shield mounted ahead of the raditor operated by a pull chain mounted underneath the dash . and coverleaf pattern tires . Thats about it for the most visiable items other than what was already mentioned .

the difference between a Norwegian workshop truck and an American one

James,

AFAIK only the Swiss and Netherlands Armies had their own workshop versions manufactured. Picture below shows the Dutch workshop; they had many more American ones in service.

Regards,

Hanno

GMC CCKW 353 Ned Toolset Henk Seerden.jpg