Hi Everyone

sodbuster

I'm just an armchair semi enthusiast guided here by my search for pictures mainly of WW2 trucks. In the 1950's around Awsworth and Cossall in Nottinghamshire, there was lots of opencast mining, and the vehicles used for transporting the coal to the storage area at Bennerley before cleaning were Austin K2's, Dodge D60's and O type Bedford's with a smattering of others, all passing my front door. The vehicles bringing the excavators and crawler tractors nearly always included a Diamond T and Scammell Mountaineers and bowsers on the site were usually QL's. When the land was restored to fields, they were spread with Lime from hoppers mounted on Bedford QL's, the similar Fords and GMC's. I used to pass a field just down the road where a dozen K6 gantry trucks were rusting away, I often wondered what happened to them. So basically I'm reminiscing, and you can see why there aren't alot of these trucks about, they were worked to death, many of them crabbed and still working, 3 tonners made into high sided coal transporters, as many loads a day as you can.

Edited by sodbuster

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any photos you can post? I'm just down the road from there.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I don't have any of my own photos at all, to be able to see some of these vehicles on the internet via Youtube and Flickr and this sort of organisation is brilliant though.

Thanks for the welcome,

Paul