Military History in East Sussex

My interest in Military History has broadened from WW2 aircraft and now takes in 19th C military history in India/Pakistan, The Zulu war and, as I am based in Sussex, 19-20 C Military history, particularly near-coast history.

I have had the honour of a guided tour of HMS Forward, Newhaven and am slowly visiting old Pillboxes, tank traps etc in the Newhaven area.

My particular interest is what lies beneath Seaford Head. Rumour says a lot, print nothing. I was present, purely coincidently, when a void was plowed open on Seaford Head some 10-15 years ago. It was rapidly backfilled. Since then I have tried, off and on, to find out more.

I want my own Bren Gun carrier one day but if anyone needs a pair of hands July August time I'm happy to help on anything.

My interest in Military History has broadened from WW2 aircraft and now takes in 19th C military history in India/Pakistan, The Zulu war

Tim welcome. I have an interest in official military documents. I have an Army Medical Report for 1884, of some 277 pages, this covers the whole of the Empire & includes details of Units, their strengths & where they were stationed. Casualties & desease levels are listed, most falling prey to STDs & enterric disorders, together with sanitary & water supply problems.

Let me know if there is any particular area of interest I can help you with. I also have similar reports for 1903 & 1913.

Thanks for your welcome, fv1609. With regard to old military documentation, I have contacts in Pakistan who have ancestors who worked for the British for generations. I will be visiting Lahore in September, Insh'allah - would copies of old documents be of interest to you?

More about myself.

I'm a long-time reader of "After the Battle" and have made several trips to 1st and 2nd WW battlefield sites and more particularly the war graves. It is so moving to see just how many died for what was their future and our past. Arnhem was certainly interesting but my trip to dieppe, some 10 years ago, was different. I tried taking my own "now" pictures of scenes "then" in the magazine. This was before the dedicated picture album was published. The task was much MUCH harder than I expected and it only increased my respect for all those who work on the "Then and Now" publications.

I paid a visit to Lahore last year and was amazed at the Lahore Fort dating from around the 1400's I think. Huge doesn't begin to describe it. When things calm down in the area I want to visit the Kyber Pass but I feel that will be a few years yet. But it will happen, Insh'alla.

Where my house is in the UK - Newhaven - has much history to visit for free. For those that haven't been, the history of Tidemills, a VERY small village between Newhaven and Seaford is an interesting visit. Flattened in 1940 so as not to provide cover for an invading beach asasult. Although what the Germans would have done on landing I don't know. The beach is identical in make up to Dieppe. And look what happened there . . . .

I'm coming up to 49 but some time before I am 60 I want to a) learn to fly and b) own a Bren Gun Carrier. If anyone can offer a ride in one I'd be over the moon. Another vehicle I'd like to see is a Matador truck towing a 5.5" gun. This is a left-over from my youth. I used to war-game and bringing out the 5.5 with Matador tractor would always see-off an oposing tank. Not realistic, but fun:-D

As posted above, I am intrigued as to what is under Seaford Head. Just a few miles away, HMS Forward went unnoticed for many years. So could something else be on the Head itself?

Finally, I hope to visit some "Desert Rat" territory in a year or so by driving the top of africa. Anyone interested in joining me?

Thanks for listening.

:-D

Edited by TimDog
Polish up my grammar and spelling.

Hi and welcome Tim, the Seaford Head area has been discussed on here before, centuries of military activity lay hidden or have eroded away up there, I've no doubt.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15683-Pillboxes-Cuckmere-River-Haven&highlight=cuckmere+haven

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16259-Partly-Hidden-Pillbox-Cuckmere-Haven&highlight=cuckmere+haven

welcome tim if you enjoyed forward then visit mitchelm priory and go upstairs at the gate house

when the canadian officers were based here before going to dieppe they drew plans on the walls and they are still there

if in eastbourne let me know and can also meet up to visit the redoubt fortress