Is this a Sankey?

Hi

New on here and this may be an obvious question but I have just bought this trailer which appears to be a Sankey or similar or maybe not. It have been modified by a PO but is it unusual to have a 50mm ball type hitch? I have had Sankeys before but never seen one with this type of hitch. It looks original. Unfortunately there are no plates left on the trailer for i.d. Would appreciate some suggestions.

P2120049r..JPG

P2120052r..JPG

• 1 month later...
Hi

New on here and this may be an obvious question but I have just bought this trailer which appears to be a Sankey or similar or maybe not. It have been modified by a PO but is it unusual to have a 50mm ball type hitch? I have had Sankeys before but never seen one with this type of hitch. It looks original. Unfortunately there are no plates left on the trailer for i.d. Would appreciate some suggestions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23161[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23162[/ATTACH]

Hi Looks like you have got yourself a fairly complete looking G.P.O. Jointers trailer which may have been made by Sankey but probably brockhouse as quite a few people made trailers of this ilk - similar ones were also supplied to the utility companies also such as British Gas etc - The 50 mm ball hitch is not unusual in that the trailers were destined for civilian contracts but had the benefit of being braked c/w with handbrake - Hope this helps cheers:coffee:

Hi Looks like you have got yourself a fairly complete looking G.P.O. Jointers trailer which may have been made by Sankey but probably brockhouse as quite a few people made trailers of this ilk - similar ones were also supplied to the utility companies also such as British Gas etc - The 50 mm ball hitch is not unusual in that the trailers were destined for civilian contracts but had the benefit of being braked c/w with handbrake - Hope this helps cheers:coffee:

Certainly some were used by the linemen in the Royal Signals - we had one up in the Outer Hebrides. They weren't seen in field units (ie Bruin system), as defective cables were simply rolled up and replaced. 21 Signal Regiment (Air Formation) had some for use on the RAF Germany airfields they supported. A rare beast, even in civilian guise.