Abbot Turret Traverse Problems

robj2

I have at last sorted my Abbot turret traverse problem, having eventually found the right instructions on how to strip and rebuild the clutches, in the REME museum archive.

Firstly the dial sight it’s mountings and cupola need to be removed, along with the elevating handle, manual traverse gear box and the motor contactor box with the connections on top. The traverse gearbox unit can now be removed.  It is extremely heavy, so I made a long, strong C-shaped bracket which fits over the turret roof and connects to a strap on top of the unit (there are shackles either side of the motor).  There are 4 large UNF bolts holding the unit in place – be careful to catch some shims.  The unit can now be inched back to a better place in order to get a rope or pulley onto it before lowering it down.

The clutches can now be removed.  Disconnect the wiring in the junction box (there is a wiring diagram in the cover) and remove the RH clutch assembly first.  Once dismantled all the parts need thorough cleaning and then new ferro magnetic powder is applied.  I used a bullet powder scale to precisely measure the exact 10 grams which each clutch needs.

The unit brake is under the motor and is easily stripped for cleaning (mine was stuck).

Reassemble and install the unit which should now work as intended.

If anybody would like a copy of the instructions, diagrams and/or powder supplier please PM me your email.