What solar battery maintainer is best for 24volts?

As above, is it better/cost effective/versatile to buy two 12v solar thingies to maintain the two 12v batteries used for 24v in my Scammell or one 24v type?

No need for recharging just maintenance, what do you chaps use or is there another way?

I bought mine off eBay and it has been exceptional.

I have checked it connected to the AVO meter and in poor light it gives out about 23v. In very strong sunlight this increases to nearer 30, but it has diodes as part of it to stop over charging etc.

It has proved to be a very useful item.

I bought the 24v one so I didn't have to isolate batteries etc.

If you need more info then I can take pics or send over eBay item link from my purchase.

Cheers

We bought a few (still as yet unfitted!) that are the same as the ones the US army use. They can be attached to 12V or 24V battery sets. We did fit one to the ERF (24V) and one to Mikes tractor and they seemed to work ok. Mike will know what make they are, they are still in his workshop!

In battery technology for electric vehicles there is huge emphasis placed on load and charging balance, rather than one voltage across all the cells they will charge each cell according to it's needs. This has a huge impact on battery pack lifespan. Assuming your batteries don't have external straps between the cells the closest you can get is two separate 12V chargers. If nothing else it means if one battery or charger fails you don't loose both. As they are solar you don't have to isolate them (as long as the case is isolated), just one across each battery. A diode for reverse protection will prevent discharging the battery at night but doesn't do much for over-charge protection. As the previous reply noticed, the open panel voltage can go well over the nominal or even safe charging voltage for a battery so unless your panel is quite small (300ma max) make sure it has overvoltage protection built-in or buy an external charging regulator. I know they cost a bit but it's cheaper than cooking some expensive batteries.

Oh, do *please* remember to fuse your connections as close as practicable to the batteries so that in the unfortunate event of a damaged cable you don't damage anything else (don't ask why I emphasize this) and note that if you do use two 12v chargers you should fuse both positive wires AND the negative high-side battery.

Doh!

I cant access eBay due to works firewall settings but attach the description, which can be used as a search title.

[h=1]SOLAR CHARGER / BATTERY SAVER 24V 24 VOLT 4 WATTS suit lorry

horsebox military[/h]

I must emphasise that mine is a trickle charger and only rated at 4W and it is the mobile briefcase one.

I chose it so it can be disconnected and stored easily in vehicle (fitted with Crocodile clips). Also the intention will be to use it at shows and leave it on the roof, therefore keeping the batteries topped up.

As I suggested earlier it even gives an output in the shade or overcast skies.

Hope it helps / is of use