Royal Enfield WD CO

Centurion

Hi all,

I have recently bought an Enfield WD CO. Can any one advise as to where I might get the correct panniers, replicas will be ok. I suppose originals will fall into the hens teeth category. It has a pair fitted but they are a bit tired and are possibly not the right ones as the leather corners don,t fit over the frames, thats if there supposed to perhaps they have shrunk.

Also there is a sprung pillion seat frame but no cover I have a cover from hitchcocks but it is the wrong one ie too big any ideas as to what the original shape is or where I may get one.

Finally for now its finished in brown which as I understand was the colour all m/cycles were delivered in. If I want to paint it as 3 Div signals June 1944 would it be O D and would it carry any div badges etc. I know that these were not used much outside of GB but want to paint it this way as my Dad was a DR with 3 div signals.

Regards

Centurion

Hi,

contact John, memeber of HMVF, nick name rewdco. He make a register of WDCO bikes.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7762-Help-with-1942-Royal-Enfield-350cc-OHV-WCO-military-sidecar/page3

If you are looking for the panniers, first tray ebay or BSA forum.

Please sent to us any pictures.

Cheers Radek

Hi Centurion,

As Radek has already explained, I am keeping a register of the WD Royal Enfields. With the data from this register, and with the help of many knowledgeable people, I have also made a 60 plus pages Report on the WD/CO. I can send you a copy if you let me know your email address.

Kind regards,

Jan (rewdco)

wd.register@gmail.com

PS It would of course be nice if your bike could also be added to the register!

Edited by rewdco
forgot to add email address

Thanks for the reponse Jan and Radek. I already have the report and believe that you may already have the bike on the register as Tom that I bought it from sent me a copy of an email you had sent him re engine no,s and identity.

Just to confirm here is a copy

WD/CO:

Frame: M20314

Engine: 20314 (LH side below cylinder)

15419 (LH side below Magdyno)

C/S1546 (LH side)

Inspection stamp: arrow, over M, over 426

Gearbox (replacement): HHP

According to the data in my register, this engine (engine number 15419) must have been assembled around September 1943. Enfield did not work according to the “first in – first out” principle, and this engine remained on the shelves until July or August 1944, when it was fitted to the frame # M20314. (These long delays were not standard practice, but I do have some other examples in my register…). This is an early contract C/S1546 motorcycle, and this bike’s census number was C5162654. I have added a copy of the nearest number on a war time photograph. The acceptance marking and contract stamp are correct for this frame number.

According to the data in my register, the Albion gearbox HHP 973 must have been assembled around September – October 1943.

I have been in contact with Frank Brown at pegasus-drive@sky.com who does replica panniers and seat covers etc. So should be able to resolve those problems. I will post some pics which are the ones Tom sent me when I was buying the bike when I remember how to. Alternatively If your interested I can email them directly to you.

Regards

Centurion aka Dick Howland

Yes you could be right as I said they dont quite fit the frames in that they are not wide enough across the back and the leather corners don,t hook over the top corners of the frames. They have the re inforcing fabric strips on the back side.

Centurion

Thanks for the reponse Jan and Radek. I already have the report and believe that you may already have the bike on the register as Tom that I bought it from sent me a copy of an email you had sent him re engine no,s and identity.

Regards

Centurion aka Dick Howland

Hello Dick,

Indeed, Tom has given me all the details on this very nice motorcycle! If you would have any other questions, please feel free to contact me...

Cheers,

Jan

The bike looks to be finished in SCC No.2 Brown which would be correct for the majority of British manufactured vehicles in use in NW Europe during 1944. Although the new British Olive Drab colour was being introduced during early 1944, instructions were that existing paint stocks were to be used up first and unless your bike had been through a rebuild, it would not have received the OD colour (and if you go down this route then you should, strictly speaking be thinking about a census number from the 'rebuild' sequences).

Regrettably, the display of Formation Signs on motorcycles was discontinued in accordance with Army Council instructions of October 1943. The only markings displayed thereafter were the Arm of Service insignia, usually on both sides of the fuel tank.

The Arm of Service marking for Divisional Signals in an infantry division at this point was a red '40' over the white / blue signals colours.

This scheme does not unfortunately give any indication of the division involved and perhaps therefore it is not uncommon to see restored bikes with the divisional Formation sign applied to the right hand side of the fuel tank although this is correctly a layout which was discontinued prior to June 1944.