Caterpillar D8 number

Belgian Dave

I have a photograph of a Caterpillar D8 Bulldozer that my Grandfather used during WWII. On the side is a number (census number?), and I would like to know what, if any, information can be found from this number?

The number is ME W201, as I mentioned, it is on a Catapiller D8 Bulldozer which is being used by the Royal Engineers in Turkey. The date is around 1941-1942.

If anyone can provide further information, I would be most grateful.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, a recnt visit to catz near carentan was this caterpillar d8 with blade and le tourneau gear, sad to say the block is cracked and the cast air inlet is cracked as well, probably due to no anti freeze , the poor old girl has just been blown over with green paint and is now a static exhibit, hope of interest, tony g.

Bulldozer at Catz 1.jpg

Bulldozer at Catz 2.jpg

Bulldozer at Catz 3.jpg

hi, a recnt visit to catz near carentan was this caterpillar d8 with blade and le tourneau gear, sad to say the block is cracked and the cast air inlet is cracked as well, probably due to no anti freeze , the poor old girl has just been blown over with green paint and is now a static exhibit, hope of interest, tony g.

Sad when they get left like that. There is one near me at the Gillingham Business Park. OK, Nice tribute to the Royal Engineers it may be, and it has a nice paint job!! But the poor thing is a shadow of its former self, and hasn't had a good run out for years. Shouldn't be allowed

• 5 months later...
I have a photograph of a Caterpillar D8 Bulldozer that my Grandfather used during WWII. On the side is a number (census number?), and I would like to know what, if any, information can be found from this number?

The number is ME W201, as I mentioned, it is on a Catapiller D8 Bulldozer which is being used by the Royal Engineers in Turkey. The date is around 1941-1942.

If anyone can provide further information, I would be most grateful.

Hi just wondering in the photograph can you see a E number on the radiator or the back of the diesel tank.

DSCF1176 (800x600) (2).jpg

Here is a picture of mine it 1944 ww2 assault dozer used on Arromanches beach for clearing obstacles and roadways.

Here is a list of a site with a few Army Items including an 8R D8 that I was involved in a total re-build, its about as factory fresh as you can find, bostonpowercat.com will get you there with photo and video shots of some interesting iron in the owners collection, I have done plenty of work on these old D8's over the last few years as there is still a good following for the 8R-2U series tractors, I hope you find it interesting.

Fairbairn Sykes