Early Pattern DPM Windproof

Eaglehurst

A really nice example of an early (so called SAS type) windproof. Unfortunately the label has faded somewhat but I can tell it is a 'Smock Windproof Camouflage' made by H E Textiles. I think the NSN is 8415 99 132 3954. The unusual part about this is that it is a size 04. If the NSN is correct this would mean that the 04 was the largest size made in the smaller '0' sizings before moving to standard 1-9 sizing. Would be interested to know if this is the case as I understood that the standard 68 smocks only had 01,02,03 in the smaller sizings....

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Jason, the 1986 edition of the Army QM catalogue (section CG - Combat Clothing) lists the "SAS" windproof....it is described as "Smock, Combat, Cotton, DPM" and the detail states "SAS; not for general issue; used with Trousers, Combat 8415-99-138-0797 to 0809"..........

The sizes are now "Metric" rather than numbered, but the NSN's run from 8415-99-132-3951 NATO Size 5060/8590 to fit height 150 - 160cm and chest 82 - 88cm (the old Size 01) through to NSN 8415-99-132-3963 NATO Size 8090/1520 to fit height 180 - 190cm and chest 114 to 120cm (the old Size 9). There is an additional "Special" size listed with NSN 8415-99-132-3964......this suggests a size range from "04" through to "9" (plus "special").......

The SAS Smock dates from 1975, followed by the similar Arctic Windproof suit around 1976-77........all of these, along with the DPM Para Smock AND the Sniper Smock were all supplied in the old 01 to 04 sizes (or later metric equivalents) according to the lists........

The other "0" sizes up to 09 were originally Gurkha sizes supplied for 68 pattern suit production but dropped around the mid-1970s to just 01 to 04 as the full small size range had been found unnecessary.....the sizes 01 to 04 were still issued for Gurkhas, female and unusually small individuals (just like 'er indoors, who's only 4'10" against my 6'3" !!! Guess who's boss though...!!!!)

Edited by wdbikemad

I have a similar early issue DPM "SAS" windproof smock in almost mint condition in a Size 3, which fits me well if a tad short in the body......I bought it at Beltring about 3 years ago now for only £12.....it was on a stall set away from the main lines, mixed in with all the tat and non-military stuff......at the same show I also managed to find a mint pair of early arctic windproof trousers in a Size 5 for a reasonable £10......

I have two new late-manufacture SAS windproof smocks, one a 170/96 and the other a 190/112......plus about 4 pairs of trousers with the buckle waist fastening, all new and good sizes.......and a couple of arctic smocks too....

I'm always amazed that the SAS windproof trousers, styled on the 1950 pattern OG jungle strides with the horrendously uncomfortable side-buckle waist fastening (if worn with webbing on top) lasted unmodified into the mid-2000's.......

That said, the overall fitting was far better than many other combat pants.......mind you, the arctic windproof trousers weren't all that bad either.....

Dave is right....those being sold now via surplus are the last stocks of decent sizes left on the market....these were released around 3-4 years ago now so, to quote, "buy now" (whilst you still can)..........

Yep, the very ones ! Made from 1975 to around 2004-5....not bad for a 30 year service life !!! These were SAS issue, for use with the non-wired hood, no rank tab DPM windproof smocks....

Although the arctic smock is very similar to the SAS variety, the arctic windproof trouser is a completely different animal with no similarities other than the cotton-gabardine fabric....(they're also very generously cut !! Designed for wear over the quilted nylon "Chinese fighting suit" extreme cold weather trouser liner)....:-)

If I may

Although not SF I wore the artic smock in preferance to SF smock in 1984. after attending LRRPS.

Couple of sand bags sown into the double seam increased carriage of ammo or root crops / rabbits when on Escape and evasion. Looked like you had a pair of t**s when worn with belt kit but effective way of carrying expendables

In 1980 I wore an DPM SF smock pockets not bellow as I recall and to same design as earlier 1940 ? desert pattern.

Edited by Chin Strap

I have also seen the cross over trousers in sand colour thought that they might have been from the Aden / Muscat era.

Beanie hat in same sand colour also was issued to troops in the Gulf at this time.

The crossover trousers in sand were a standard general issue item for the Middle East and specific other areas. Made from sand-colour khaki drill cotton, they were not a windproof or SAS trouser and resembled the similar version in jungle green for Far East usage........however, some of the khaki versions lack the rear pockets and the large left leg pocket (though not all).....