Transferring microfiche

fv1609

Anyone any ideas for the reliable & rapid transfer of fiche either to paper or ideally PC?

I have several fiche readers & looking the odd something up is no problem. But I have a lot of EMERs & AESPs locked up in fiche that I would like to get at more easily, in fact the fiche collection is about 18 inches thick, which is equivalent I guess to a small room full of bookcases filled with documents.

If there is something I want, I just take a digital picture then store or print it. But its a pain, I have to then transpose it to a negative to get normal text & often shift the horizontal & vertical linearity on the photo software. A single document I can cope with, but it is very time consuming.

I have an Epson scanner that can take slides. When I scan fiche which is back illuminated & goes up to 4800 dpi (very slow!). I can get lines of text appear but the optics let me down, letter characters a very broad & fluffy. You can just work out what it says but it's not easy to read.

The army had a range of fiche readers ranging from hand-held to printer types. Our reference library have a lot of fiche records & can print off a page for 20p or so. With the size of the collection I estimate this would cost £10,000 maybe, plus a lot of time. Unfortunately these reader-printers use heat sensitive paper as in cheaper fax machines & all of this will fade away within a year!

I know I can then scan these printouts to the PC but it all takes time. So anyone got any ideas how to transfer fiche into a more useable form?