Royal Enfield WDCO Restoration

JulianW

I have for about a year been building a WDCO from parts. I started with probably about 50% of a bike and have collected parts at Autojumbles, by appeals on forums and on the internet including ebay. The project is now coming together nicely and I am hopeful of having it running before the end of the year. Photos attached for info. 

I m just working on the electrics and have a 60W longer later type dynamo to fit and plan to put a modern DVR2 regulator inside an original regulator box. My question is whether to wire the bike positive earth or negative earth. The WDCO was originally negative earth but I think the post war bikes which would have had the 60W dynamo fitted were positive earth. Any advice welcome!!!!

IMG_6411.JPG

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6625.JPG

• Like 3

The Positive earth system was adopted through the 50's and 60's as there was thinking along the lines of less corrosion??? But it switched back in the late 60's or early 70's to Negative earth.  Your CO was originally wired Neg earth and I can see no reason or advantage to changing it from standard. It's simple to flash the dynamo for either version and I'll post the Lucas information for that for anyone who wants to see it. 

Good luck with the restoration and since you are wisely fitting a DVR2, you could install it in a correct MCR1 regulator for a more authentic look!   Ron

Lucas Dynamo.jpg

Edited by Ron

Thanks Ron.  I couldn't see any benefit for either positive or negative earth and had been thinking negative made sense but reassuring to have another opinion. Yes I will look out for the correct MCR1 regulator box to replace the MCR2 I have fitted.