eBay photo buyers beware

Mark Ellis

There is someone selling black and white photos on eBay, predominantly of Alvis Stalwarts but also other things.

They're claiming that all the photos are genuine from 1968. Most of them are actually from 1960 to 1963.

But they're also selling things like these.

This is PV 4, bought by Sweden in 1962. It's a pre production vehicle, and is chassis number 4

11pv4.jpg.75bd838c2f0d4785612cba797e455706.jpg

Below is another photo that they are selling for £15. It's the same photo as above, but someone has photoshopped the image.

It now has the final (stronger) version of the sideboards, which were introduced when the cranes came in - 1969, and it suddenly has a winch rope coming out of the bottom of the front plate, and zig zagging around the side of the cab.

11pv42.jpg.8cb67a902e06fca6098f6a2e3fa0c86d.jpg

Well spotted but I think the seller has misunderstood that all these photos  marked 17.10.68 on the back relate to the date that the previous owner absorbed them into his collection by writing his name & address on the back. As such give an impression that these were all photographed on 17.10.68 which is clearly unlikely.

It is quite possible that the photos were manufacturer manipulated. I think I have seen a similar sort of thing with Swingfire missiles added to a Saracen.

2 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Well spotted but I think the seller has misunderstood that all these photos  marked 17.10.68 on the back relate to the date that the previous owner absorbed them into his collection by writing his name & address on the back. As such give an impression that these were all photographed on 17.10.68 which is clearly unlikely.

It is quite possible that the photos were manufacturer manipulated. I think I have seen a similar sort of thing with Swingfire missiles added to a Saracen.

Oh, ok. I have seen other manufacturer manipulated photos of the stalwart. just seems odd that the winch is right at the bottom of the front plate.

Alvis did put in the miscellaneous items list in their own manual for PV4 and 5 in 1962, that a winch is fitted on the left side of the cab. There is no information in the vehicle data, and no photographic evidence of a winch - suggesting that perhaps it was a Tirfor winch. They were standard G1098 kit of Royal Engineer field squadrons.

Many thanks for the explanation, Clive.

Screenshot_20230802-114135.thumb.png.1999caad697e18677c6ad8615933438e.png

4 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I wonder if Alvis touted Sweden to refit the two PVs up to Mark 1 FV620 with winch standard