What's the consensus - original or repro and, if original what for?

10FM68

Question

IMG_3522.thumb.JPG.1be783f9d334d5cde487dbc3d7f4e9e1.JPGIMG_3523.thumb.JPG.d446476c0cc9cc75fbfe348deda18e04.JPG

I recently bought these on eBay.  I wanted them to put bits and pieces in thinking they were the same size as tobacco tins, but they aren't they're much smaller.  Anyway, there seem to be a lot of them on eBay at the moment and I therefore wondered whether they really do date from WWII.  If they do, what percussion caps were they for?  And, again, if they are original, is the colour authentic SCC-15?  They don't seem to have been used and the stencilling is incomplete, so they could have come from a large stock of unused tins, but, equally, they might have been made in India earlier this year.  I've no idea - has anyone on here?

Thanks in advance

10 68

4 answers to this question

Hi, yes these are authentic WWII tins for percussion caps used in different types of booby trap switches, time pencils etc. The caps are used to light up an instagenous fuse, cordtex or safety fuse or can be put into a detonator like No.27 and.then inserted into a plastic explosive like Nobel 808, PE No.2 etc...  Often used by the SOE but also by sappers. The tins themselves are not very rare, unlike the caps.

Here with the No.2 MkII pressure switch example.

Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 22-24-06 WWII British Secret Agent SOE SAS Cammando Sabotage Tools Equipment - Militaria.png

Switch.jpg

• Thanks 1

I doubt that it is SCC15 as I think the Olive drab is darker and was first introduced in April 1944 whilst these tins showed up in 1943. I may be wrong but I think it is closer to the Khaki Green G3 which was used in early war years.

• Thanks 1