GPW 12 Volt Conversion

revcomr2

Hi All

Been a long time since I was on here, but looking for info, guidance and advice on changing a 42 GPW from 6 volt to 12 volt. What do I need to change? Where is the best place to get the parts?

Thanks in advance

Rik

All bulbs obviously but it gives you the option of easy to obtain Halogen head light bulbs and LED rear lights if you so desire every thing else stays the same except the fuel gauge which will need to be a 12volt version  obtained via the usual outlets and the ignition coil of course .

12 volt original dynamos are getting hard to come by and if by chance one turns up they are very (by this I mean eye wateringly ) expensive. 

I have recently done a conversion using a Dynator this is an alternator built to look like one of the the old style big Lucas dynamos only needs a new bracket fabricating to take the unit onto the block which can't be seen when installed and a different bracket to tension the belt not as per factory but a whole lot better looking than a modern alternator slapped in there and there is no need for any CVC box just a coil activation light when the ignition is first turn on I tucked this up under the cowl so it shined down on the the drivers feet and went out as soon the engine fired up.

A word to the wise these units are made by a range of manufactures now for the classic car market they come in a range of prices for essentially the same thing so it pays to shop around  via the web.  

Pete