Centurions in Korea

Aussie

I've recently heard that my cent 01ZR10 might have served and possibly damaged in Korea and I'm really keen to know how/if this can be checked out.

I've posted in the "Research" list but don't often look there myself, so this posting is a pointer to that entry in case others miss it. Apologies if this is poor etiquette.

James

Thanks Scott. I'll try but if it went to Korea it would have been with the UK - possibly Royal Hussars (went to HK with C squadron) rather than Aussies, so I'm not confident and suspect info, if any, would be held somewhere in UK. I think there's some way of getting service documents over there but don't know how - tried Bovington's web page but couldn't see any relevant link there.

Cheers

James

Not an official route, but, as I was wondering about the answer to your question, I did a quick "google" and came across a fascinating thread on Cents on www.armortek.co.uk which, although it is for modellers rather than restorers, clearly had one or two chaps on it who really know their stuff. There were some excellent photos, both detail close-ups and combat shots (plenty of Australian stuff from Vietnam as well) and included pictures of a number of useful reference books.

There was also an image of a set of modelling decals by Bison Decals giving a limited number of ERMs for tanks of the 8th Hussars in Korea. They included 01, 02, 03 and 10 and both BA and ZR - I have no idea whether this might include your tank, but, clearly they must have got their list of ERMs for 8H Cents from somewhere. Anyway, it is worth a browse and you might find someone there who can help you.

RLCarchive.org holds a large number of records for military vehicles, but a quick look (you can check if they have them for free, but have to pay for the results) results in a "no" for yours, I'm afraid they are better on B vehicles).

Good luck in your detective work.

01 68