Cable Assault No. 2 WB.3724

g0ozs

Does anyone have a specification for this cable - it is green, about 2mm diameter, and has a single 7-stranded conductor. The strands are very stiff and springy so appear to be steel rather than copper ? I've been using it for various ad hoc antennas having got it from my father's estate - it was originally a compact coil wrapped in hessian strip.

I assume it was intended for field telephone use in some way ? It's much lighter than D10 and comes as a single wire rather than a pair.

I attach a photo of the label.

Regards

Iain

cable-wb3724-880yds.jpg

Thanks Clive! Google has not so far been helpful in finding any details of its intended use - I'm guessing it is a lighter cable intended to be unrolled going forward, whereas D10 is for semi-permanent installations ?

Regards

Iain

One strand tinned copper, six strands tinned steel, PVC insulation (i've seen blue and green versions).

Intended for use with Reel No.10 and an "elbow hook" type of cable layer. It was supposed to be air-droppable without a parachute, after which the "doughnut" could be returned to the circular condition, you then removed the hessian wrap but left the string ties in place, fitted it to the split reel, clamped the reel together before removing the ties and off you went.

Assault cable No.1 was mild steel wire (possibly copper plated) with a paint insulation coat. It was supplied on wooden reels and not considered recoverable for re-use. A load of it was sold off by Robert Dyas the ironmongers for use as plant ties, etc., years ago.

Assault cable No.2 was a vast improvement, and reusable with the split drum.

It's probably not very good as an antenna, being even higher resistance than D10 - considered "emergencies only".

I can dig the full specification out if you really need it.

(I have a small (100 yard) sample of the cable, and the correct reel, but not the 'hook type' layer for it - does anyone have one going spare?)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All Fellow Wire Lovers,

I have collected several similar reels here in Australia.

Somewhere I have a book produced shortly after WW2 by a small plastics company here in Melbourne with great detail of how local assault wire was produced, the big problem being attaching the PVC coating successfully and in large quantities, apparently a new process of the time.

The assault wire was to be used in the islands as first line of communication with advancing troops, with more permanent D10 being laid when the area was secure.

There was even development of portable 'sectional steel poles' made in approx 6 ft. lengths , tubular and tapered so they were quickly connected and put up vertically. (Sadly,I've got a couple under the house!)

I'll attach some photos , one showing 2 handles, one Aust -round bar-with tropic treated finish - looks like between galv. and zinc, then painted. A lot of stuff was finished like this for use in the tropics. (that's a whole separate story- "tropic treated")

The other handle flat aluminium looks more British made marked A.C.L No.10 YA7475 (Aust equiv would be marked with YAA).

The Aust made assault wire is brown colour like undercoat paint, and the two 3 ply reels I have - 1 with the same brown, the other wire is black coated.

regards

Andrew B

P1030931.jpg

P1030933.jpg

P1030939.jpg

Hi All Fellow Wire Lovers,

I have collected several similar reels here in Australia.

Somewhere I have a book produced shortly after WW2 by a small plastics company here in Melbourne with great detail of how local assault wire was produced, the big problem being attaching the PVC coating successfully and in large quantities, apparently a new process of the time.

The assault wire was to be used in the islands as first line of communication with advancing troops, with more permanent D10 being laid when the area was secure.

There was even development of portable 'sectional steel poles' made in approx 6 ft. lengths , tubular and tapered so they were quickly connected and put up vertically. (Sadly,I've got a couple under the house!)

I'll attach some photos , one showing 2 handles, one Aust -round bar-with tropic treated finish - looks like between galv. and zinc, then painted. A lot of stuff was finished like this for use in the tropics. (that's a whole separate story- "tropic treated")

The other handle flat aluminium looks more British made marked A.C.L No.10 YA7475 (Aust equiv would be marked with YAA).

The Aust made assault wire is brown colour like undercoat paint, and the two 3 ply reels I have - 1 with the same brown, the other wire is black coated.

regards

Andrew B

Yes, the flat aluminium one is the British A.C.L. No.10 and I would very much like to get one if anybody has a spare.

(Likewise a "donut" or two of the Assault Cable No.2, though that would have to be in the UK due to shipping costs!)

I have the split reel for use with the ACL 10.

I suspect the "wood & wire" handle for the other cable is fitted backwards the wooden roller is far more likely to be the handgrip!

Chris. (Occasional collector of Line kit.) :D

Hi Chris

I have pondered on the handle of the wooden reel. That's the way it came to me, and thought the same, then wondered if the reel would rotate better on the wooden piece like a roller.

Maybe I should carry out field experiments!

Some extra snaps, a close up of the markings on the Aust. reel, a second plywood reel with a full load of dusty black wire, and what looks like a swords to plowshares example of postwar 'bell wire' - the same wire.

Andrew

P1030936.jpg

P1030932.jpg

P1030935.jpg