Desert Sniper Smock - Prototype

wdbikemad

Obtained this recently.........desert DP sniper smock........same as the temperate version apart from the colour.........note that no NSN is detailed on the label as yet be be announced...........seems that the garment was never subsequently put into production due to MTP cammo coming on-stream............there is now an MTP sniper smock in production and on issue........:-D

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

• 1 month later...

wdbikemad:Obtained this recently.........desert DP sniper smock........same as the temperate version apart from the colour.........note that no NSN is detailed on the label as yet be be announced...........seems that the garment was never subsequently put into production due to MTP cammo coming on-stream............there is now an MTP sniper smock in production and on issue........:-D

Just wondering did they ever make a sniper smock in the sparse desert print?

Just wondering did they ever make a sniper smock in the sparse desert print?

It seems unlikely. "Sparse" ddpm only appears on the first desert uniforms (1990-91) and some slightly later privately-made windproofs that copied the gaberdine SAS/Arctic smock. "Sparse" ddpm was presumably a brief experiment that was considered unsatisfactory, as no further issue items were made in it. Going by the polycotton of this sniper smock and this maker who doesn't show up on combat clothing before the end of the 90s at earliest, that print variant was well out of use by the time of its manufacture.

Edward53; It seems unlikely. "Sparse" ddpm only appears on the first desert uniforms (1990-91) and some slightly later privately-made windproofs that copied the gaberdine SAS/Arctic smock. "Sparse" ddpm was presumably a brief experiment that was considered unsatisfactory, as no further issue items were made in it. Going by the polycotton of this sniper smock and this maker who doesn't show up on combat clothing before the end of the 90s at earliest, that print variant was well out of use by the time of its manufacture.

Thanks Edward for the information, just threw me as to why they would not want to use Sparse camo print it would seem to be more effective than the other print?

Thanks,

Lewis

Thanks Edward for the information, just threw me as to why they would not want to use Sparse camo print it would seem to be more effective than the other print?

Thanks,

Lewis

Hard to say, as this kind of information tends to be thought of as ephemeral and gets binned without anyone considering the possible historical interest. One can only presume they tested both types and found regular ddpm to work better. There's no documentation that I know of, so I wrote my own mini history in as much (some would say mind-numbing) detail as I could here:

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t9823-identification-guide-to-gulf-war-one-militaria

[=Edward53;459344]Hard to say, as this kind of information tends to be thought of as ephemeral and gets binned without anyone considering the possible historical interest. One can only presume they tested both types and found regular ddpm to work better. There's no documentation that I know of, so I wrote my own mini history in as much (some would say mind-numbing) detail as I could here:

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t9823-identification-guide-to-gulf-war-one-militaria

Thanks edward for the information and the link ill take a look.

Lewis