Ferret Transfer-Case/Gear-Box adjustments after rebuild...................

Greetings All,

We've recently rebuilt the Transfer-Case/Gear-Box for our Museum's Ferret......replaced the Transmission Brake Bands with new Brake Bands for 1st through 4th gears, fitted a new Bus-Bar Spring, and replaced all the bushings in the bell-crank linkages from the pedals to the Transfer-Case/Gear-Box.

After sorting out the adjustments to everything we have all five gears working correctly when we shift up and down but are unable to get "Neutral" to engage in the Gear-Box. banghead.gif Before we rebuilt the Transfer-Case/Gear-Box we only had 2nd and 3rd gears, and Neutral working (the latter after removing the the Gear-Box Neutral Strut). Is this a case of letting all the new parts "settle in", or is there something else we should be adjusting? Or.........should we remove the Gear-Box Neutral Strut from the Gear Selector Assembly, as before? I understand this was a modification to the unit after it was manufactured.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC

Chris,

I am assuming the transmission is now in the Ferret. It sound like the pedal linkage is not allowing you to push down the bus bar far enough for the Neutral strut to engage. You would be advised to fit it as before, it was fitted for good reason. It is rare to find gearboxes without Neutral struts now as they were modded in and around the mid to late 50's.

regards Richard

Thanks Richard,

I forgot to add that we also replaced the Bus-Bar Spring as it had broken. Any thoughts on the adjustment you mentioned?

Cheers,

Chris

First off Chris, when I have a transmission to adjust from scratch, I use a hand lever for the busbar, it was a special tool to replace the small arm on the gearbox temporarily. This allows you to cycle the operating gear without pedal linkage inhibiting it, once you know the box is engaging all gears and neutral, then you can connect up the pedal linkage and adjust. Dont forget to engage 1st gear before you adjust the pedal linkage as that has least free play on pedal. I advise to adhere to the EMER's when doing all this.

Thanks Again Richard.

When we first tested everything after getting the unit back in the vehicle (after initial adjustments) we were running he vehicle on just the two rear propeller shafts. The front two are now in.

Cheers,

Chris