Canadian Ferret with turret

robin craig

There has been some very good work done to record the history of Ferrets in Canadian service over the years.

However, there are some pictures that dispel the myth that Canadian used Ferrets were only Mk1 vehicles. Make it clear that we didn't say owned. The premise is that they were loaned.

Both Chris Preston in BC Canada and myself seem to have a rivet counting need to set the record straight.

We both have found a picture of both a Mk1 and a Mk 2/3 marked up in what he believes and I concur are Fort Garry Horse markings in Cyprus.

Interestingly I found an image attributed to the Royal Canadian Dragoons in Germany. I have found that 2nd LT Peck in the Ferret is still live and we are trying to interview him.

I thought I had posted this earlier on the forum but I couldnt find it so am redoing it for the record.

Robin and Chris

8th Canadian Hussars Ferret Germany.jpg

RCD_Ferret_on_patrol_in_Cyprus._MIKAN_No._4235954.jpg

enlarged front of ferret  RCD_Ferret_on_patrol_in_Cyprus._MIKAN_No._4235954.jpg

Excellent Robin..I know you are always looking for anything on the Canadian Ferret and a great find you have....I hope you and your friend someday can produce a small book of all your great finds....Every little bit helps to put the puzzle together.

I am always hoping that old Canadian Army Soldiers that worked and crewed one of the 124 Ferrets will come on here or on the Ferret Appreciation forum on Facebook and talk of their experiences and share their photos but it is a very rare occurrence indeed for that to happen...

I am still looking for any information or pictures on my Canadian Army 1954 Ferret MK1 54-82586 that was one of the 29 in UNEF (possible UNEF 1216....

Keep up the good work...