Gardner Air Brake Compressor Problem

rustexpert

Question

Hi,

if any one can give any advice; the air brake compressor on the Foden (Gardner 5 cyl) is leaking oil from the air brake compressor from the shaft which sticks out the opposite end from the pulley. It seems that some one has tried to put a cover over the end and the oil is coming from a hole in the cover.

Is the oil leak likely to be more of a problem than just a bit of a leak to live with or even catch for a bit?

If the cover wasn't there or something was mounted on that shaft the seal should hold the oil in; the question is if the seal is leaking is it most likely that the bearing has gone behind it as well? If it is just the seal then I could replace it in situ but if the bearings are likely gone then it would be better to pull the compressor off. I think it is the kind of compressor that has an open bottom and the "sump" is the mounting it sits on. Is there a gasket in this joint? Can they be obtained or would I have to cut one?

The pictures of a similar pump are a bit pathetically small but I want to get on.

$_14a.jpg

$_14.jpg

3 answers to this question

I will check I am not certain but I had assumed that this compressor is oil fed from the engine with a drain return; it is still possible that the oil level is too high for some reason like a blocked or restricted return. I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

When you mentioned pulley, I thought it sounded like a stand alone type with its own reservoir/sump. Those compressors driven off timing gear case of engines do usually have an oil feed pipe to them and either a drain pipe to sump or they may drain into the timing case. I f you see no pipe to the crankcase of the compressor then it has its own, if something like a Clayton Dewandre type, I recollect them having a dipstick. Photos would be good.

regards, Richard