New Flathead V8

POPPY

Question

Hi all !

Sadly I received the news that my 1943 Flathead V8 engine had failed its pressure test today due to a long crack in the block. I also have a seized valve!

I've been quoated £1100 for the crack to be stitched!

Does anyone know where I can purchase a reconditioned Flathead !

Ps This was going to be my first year on the show circuit ! But now I will have sit at home with the girl friend 😁

regards

Mark

1944 Ford CMP LAAT

1942 Canadian Bofors Gun

4 answers to this question

Mark

Find a Simca SUMB that is beyond repair but has an original engine - they had a 4.2l version of the ford flat head manufactured as recently as the late 60s and certainly no earlier than 1959. Even a roadworthy one will struggle to reach £2K these days so I would have thought your budget might stretch to one. There are some differences around the gear box to engine join but they are widely used as replacement/upgrade engines for pre war V8 cars in the USA.

Regards

Iain

Mike

Yes they did - I think they cut back their stock in the recent move though. Definitely worth giving Kerry at RR Services a call though because they are still dismantling SUMBs for spares

Iain