And now what do I do??

simondema

Question

I want to replace this wire, however I am having difficulty removing this knurled nut part. With much cursing and difficulty I managed to remove the extremely hard circlip buried deep within the knob. Now I don't know what else to do, as nothing else seems to move. I notice below the knurled ring there is a castellated ring....with my luck I will need special tool no FV 6574;?(85$59......:D

Simon

image.jpg

3 answers to this question

You shouldn't need to remove the circlip, just unscrew the nut with a C-spanner.

Andy[/quote

P1030370.jpg

Thanks Andy

Too late, however I did eventually manage to dismantle it as the photos show, using a very heavy vice. I had to unscrew the Bakelite part very carefully as I didn't want anything breaking. It came apart but only after much spraying of my marine CRC 66. Removed the old wire which was starting to show cracks due to its brittleness and replaced it with my new military cable (replacement for the Unipren) and soldered it back in place. I also dabbed all the screw parts with the copper grease so I won't have a repeat of today (1 1/2 hrs trying to figure out what to do).

The over-engineering of this vehicle will increase the amount of grey hairs I already have!!

Simon

P1030369.jpg

These things can be a real pain, and usually being made of aluminium they have a habit of corroding solid. Even undoing mated pairs can be fun, I've found that a jam-jar strap wrench is a good tool. I always put them back together with a smear of grease as you suggest. If you keep an eye on eBay you can sometimes pick up the proper tools for dismantling the connectors but they're obviously all different sizes.

Andy