Mystery Poncho...

NCA75

Just acquired this oddity...The poncho is a dark green colour and appears to be a coated twill material quite like the early 60s American types.The makers mark inside the collar look to be -----1952 or 1962 pattern then the date of 1966 then a broad arrow.Is this an early type predating the 58 poncho?Any help would be great.It is also fairly heavy for a poncho!:Dponcho1.jpg

poncho2.jpg

I think the date might just be 1956...? An article around this time (in Soldier Magazine) mentions a new lightweight "nylon" poncho but the actual period interpretation of "nylon" may be different to what we associate with that fabric today.......most earlier ponchos were a rubber-coated/impregnated cloth, and the style a hood-less "cape"..........this could possibly be an early trial garment.......? I will need to dig out the article and see if it resembles this item........:-D

That would be great!:-D I have the 1944 pattern poncho (hoodless, antigas ointment pocket inside..) and the ww2 khaki cape and its postwar green version.The material is quite different to this one.If its any help or just for interests sake the snaps on the sides have FCCO on them...makers mark.

I have ever seen a poncho marked "1958pattern". There was a 1962 pattern which was superseded by the "poncho, lightweight" - the nylon version which everyone calls the 1958 pattern. The rubberised "1944 pattern" poncho was still being manufactured in the 1960s. The one in the photo is definitely British - see the WD arrow below the manufacturer's name.

• 5 weeks later...