Jeep Timing Marks

Centurion

Hi all

This should probably be in the I may be stupid section but here goes. I have had the oil pump off my Hotchkiss to put new gaskets on it. Somewhere along the way I turned the motor and lost the ignition timing :-( .No problem I thought look in the Willys manual Ive got and reset it. BUT having finally found the marks on the flywheel they only seem to line up properly when no2 cylinder is on compression. The manual says that they should line up on no 1

The motor appears to be a WOF unit possibly last rebuilt in 1984 any ideas :? Should I just set it up on no 2 and see if it runs. Has anyone had similar anomalies with Hotchkiss motors

any help readily accepted.

Centurion

This anomaly is because the jeep flywheel is not dowelled. It can be fitted to the crankshaft in several positions, hence the timing marks can become incorrect.

As long as one piston is on the compression stroke and coming to TDC the timing mark will be good, but of course you will have to correct the plug firing order.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Karoshi.

I suspected that was what may have happened but it helps when someone who knows tells you. I suppose that in the Engine rebuild shops they did that many they set them up on any cylinder as a matter of course.

Thanks Again

Centurion