1974 Dated 59 Pattern Denison-Different in quite a few ways,zip,label,studs.

Scotch Harry

Peculiar label position on this one....the manufacturing specs state it was to be positioned in the lower-right front behind the pocket................and, NO NSN on the label !!!!! I'm wondering if this is either a commercial or foreign-contract (South African ?) example....??? (as also noted in the film "The Wild Geese" and worn by the "Simbas"...!!!!!

The other numbers quoted are the pattern reference (specification) for this model of Denison, issued in '65 and modified by "3181B" for MoD production in '68....the other number is likely to be a contract or order number, but not like other UK numbers of the era..............Fryer were a UK MoD contractor though.........

Edited by wdbikemad

looks like the one I was issued with in 74, British Airborne and almost same in every way. Still up in wardrobe - but inner pockets plain green (more khaki) but shorter looking than above. Newey studs are silver popper inside and brass (overpainted in green) outside with label on bottom right inside jacket. Could it be another supplier for same contract as zip, cuffs and style same etc

The lack of the NSN ("8405 - 99 - etc) on the label makes me suspect that this was not a British-issue item.........by 1969 virtually everything clothing-wise had a NSN, including Denisons..........the "3181A" bit on the label is the pattern (specification) code for the Denison, although this was replaced (in the MoD) by specification "3181B" in 1968........I have the full MoD Denison manufacturing specifications and instructions here and they are rather clear and detailed in how the garment was made and how it should be marked up..........

The other thing to note is that from at the latest 1968 onwards, the smock was no longer designated or labeled "Smock, Denison", this being changed to "Smock, Camouflage"......I have never seen an issue garment bearing the "Denison" designation later than 1966 in fact......

Fryer did make British combat kit around this time, generally DPM hoods and the odd early DPM para smock around 1977 - 78........

Makes me think this is either a commercial copy of the time, or intended for foreign use, but it IS made in original material and uses virtually all the same fittings 'bar the zip (too light) and the unplated Newey "7/7" studs that had been nickel plated since the 50s/60s..........

I've seen a few similar to this one over the years, and it's still rather nice !

Edited by wdbikemad