41tst Scottish Borders Historic Motoring Extravaganza, Thirlestane Castle, 02/06/2013

David I

I wouldlike to invite any interested Forum members to attend our event, the 41stScottish Borders Historic motoring Extravaganza, on Sunday, 2nd June 2013 at ThirlestaneCastle, Lauder

Although this is principally a car show, which is organized by the BordersVintage Automobile Club, of which I am a Committee Member, we are interested inall kinds of vehicles, and are definitely Military Vehicle friendly. Althoughour Club cannot claim credit for the award, the Scottish Vintage VehicleFederations Champion of champions Trophy was awarded to a Military vehicle forthe first time ever at our 2012 show.

Thiswill be our eight year at Thirlestane Castle following our movefrom Mellerstain House.

The show has certainly grown, from around twenty exhibitors in the early years,to over a thousand entries in recent years.

Althoughwe were very well supported over the years by both Scottish Military VehicleGroup and North East Military Vehicles Club, by 2006 numbers had dropped to theextent that we only had one Austin Champ attending in the Military Vehicleclass.

As a keenMilitary vehicle enthusiast (although, sadly I’ve never owned one yet), and havingdone a bit of WW2 re-enactment, I volunteered to see if I could increase thenumber of vehicles attending our event. I was quite lucky in that the owner ofthe Champ is Alistair Smith, who is an Area Liaison Officer for the Scottish MilitaryVehicle Group, and who lives within a couple of miles of the show. BetweenAlistair and me we have been able to increase numbers with 20 - 30 vehiclesattending last year.

We did not just want a row of vehicles as in the car classes, so the Militarydisplay area has vehicles parked as if they might have set up camp for thenight, with tents, nets etc. Our club has been very pleased with the results sofar, and is keen to further extend the display. Ideally it will be a Militaryshow in its own right within the main show.

Dueto our location the Borders, the event is ideal for military enthusiasts from Scotland and Northern England to meet up. So far members of Scottish Military VehicleGroup, North East Military Vehicles Club, Berwick& Borders Military VehicleClub, and the Ex Military Land Rover Association

also attended.

We have also welcomed Re-enactment/Living History displays with 4th Indians Living Historygroup attending, as have Kampfgruppe Schottland, and Western Desert Recce Group.

We have plenty of space, and our show does not have any entry fee so itwill not cost you to attend our (apart from the cost of fuel!)

The military display is growing. Those who have attended seem to have liked it,and we are always looking for ways to improve it. Although it is part of a car show,it is developing in its own right.

Thirlestane castle is situated by Lauder, and is sandwiched between the A68 andA697, so is easily accessible from Southern Scotland and Northern England.

North East MilitaryVehicles Club

The show is open to the public on the Sunday, but there is a road run on the Saturday(I must admit that the Military Vehicles tend to skip this. Access is availablefrom the Friday with camping available on your pitch on Friday, Saturday andSunday nights (military tentage) or if you prefer modern tents you can pitchthem nearby for a small fee. Facilities are basic, with portaloos and astandpipe for water. Alternatively, there is a fully serviced caravan andcamping site adjacent to the show field, but this is run as a business, so youwould have to pay their rates for that.

The show fieldis situated next to the village of Lauder with fuel, itshostelries, and a Fish & Chip shop.

For your interest,Thirlestane Castle itself was used as a Militaryhospital for British and Commonwealth troops during World War 1.

I hope thatthis might be of interest and that some of you might want to attend. If youhave any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me

David Irvine

Borders VintageAutomobile Club

evelyn@birth.plus.com

www.bvac.org.uk

• 3 months later...