transit 4x4 ambulance

joe c90

Greetings one and all. i know this isn't really a historic vehicle, but it's certainly unusal.

I have bought a 1996 Ford transit 4x4 ambulance from Withams. JN57AA

It has the 190L high roof, not the big boxy back body.

I will be registering it as a campervan (when I get my act together and finish equipping it).

I spotted it when looking for a suitable vehicle to do winter trips with my partner and young daughter.

10,000 miles, all the toys (100bhp TDi, eberspacher, aircon, LSD rear axle etc) and being from cyprus is (almost) rust free.

I cannot get a C.O.C as county tractors were bought out and the paperwork was "lost", so am going to try and figure out how to get some information. Ford ETIS (their database) gives me the donor vehicle spec etc but the V55 asks me to refer to the C.O.C for loads of stuff.

hoping I can learn some things from folk that have been down this route before.

cheers!!

You don't need a COC, it is only required when registering vehicles less than 10 years old, just ignore that and other sections on the form not relevant, your local DVLA office will help you fill in the relevant sections, register it as a 1996 Transit, the 4wd conversion doesn't affect either as this as it would have been approved at the time,, all you need is the MOD release note confirming year of manufacture, Insurance, and an MOT, class 4 for up to 3 ton gvw or class 7 for 3 to 3.5 ton gvw,

If you want to register it as a motorhome the completed interior conversion now has to be inspected first at a VOSA centre to confirm it meets the campervan/motorhome requirments, basic stuff really, fixed furniture, bed, cooker, sink, a side window etc.

Sounds the perfect vehicle to convert, good luck with your travel plans

Edited by Nick Johns

Hi, thanks for the replies, The campervan registration has been successful for others, by good pictures and plenty of details. Am doing a thorough log of the mods to the beasty, which hopefully will convince them. The nearest DVLA & VOSA to me is an hour of rubbish traffic into Leeds from Harrogate, so am hoping to limit it to one trip to the DVLA offices to do the paperwork.