churchill tank 'electrical diagram' blueprints.

tankie

Hello everyone,

I was recently lucky enough to pick up this orginal (MASSIVE! 70.5" by 30-ish") wiring diagram for a ww2 tank, the problem is it does not anywhere say what Mark of Tank it is for, so I hope some knowledeable people on here might be able to I.D. it?

After some initial research, I've had it confirmed as one of the earlier Marks of the churchill, full wiring diagram of the tank, has to be a Mark that was designed before these plans were 'retired' on the 11th Sep 1942, in the revisions/deletions column it mentions features from an A22 a and an A22 c, A22 being the abbreviation of a churchill but as to the letters 'a' and 'c' unsure if it's down to variants or Mk's. it's been fun so far trying to pin it down.

due to the retiring date, these plans land post disaster of the dieppe raid and pre- success of the second battle of El Alamein, an era when the churchill was almost on the scrapping board in favor of the cromwell. so a very interesting (and possibly rare?) bit of tank history to turn up in a local antique shop.

still thought the tankies on here would appreciate it, and I'd appreciate any information that can be gleaned from it.

warm regards,

Haydn

churchill blueprints 002 (2).jpg

IMG_0033[1].jpg

churchill blueprints-edit.jpg

the plans will probably be suitable for any of the early marks of churchills as they were all fairly common to each other, it would take a real expert to tie it own to an exact mark (if it is specific to that one) and i'm afraid i'm not that man.

thanks for sharing the pics.

rick

After some initial research, I've had it confirmed as one of the earlier Marks of the churchill, full wiring diagram of the tank, has to be a Mark that was designed before these plans were 'retired' on the 11th Sep 1942,

Hi Hadyn,

I am not sure what you mean by "retired", that stamped date looks to be when someone has received a drawing. If you look at the last photo, it has an entry near the top where "Turret Generator ..." has been added to the drawing, the date this was done looks to be 3 days prior to the stamped date of 11th Sept 1942. For someone rewiring a Churchill, this would be invaluable, as most drawings of wiring are too small !

regards, Richard

Hi Hadyn,

I am not sure what you mean by "retired", that stamped date looks to be when someone has received a drawing. If you look at the last photo, it has an entry near the top where "Turret Generator ..." has been added to the drawing, the date this was done looks to be 3 days prior to the stamped date of 11th Sept 1942. For someone rewiring a Churchill, this would be invaluable, as most drawings of wiring are too small !

regards, Richard

I had been informed the stamped date was the 'retired' date when the blue print was no longer 'current' I.E. when it was no longer on the drawing table and modifications might have been made since? but happy to be corrected :).

ha ha well it is a beast of a drawing! I have contacted bovington's facebook page and a certain mr. Montgomery who is currently renovating a few churchills for more information on it and or find out if they had one or not. as I could go to the expense of maybe having it copied if it is a document of great importance to some.

does anyone know the dates of the introduction of various Marks of churchills? might narrow the search down a bit, and various changes applied to each I might be able to find on the diagram e.g. deletions/additions. ?

my own closest guess might be a Mk III?

looking at my wiring layout and comparing it to the churchill website

http://churchilltank.com/electrical-systems/

it mentions for the Mk III turret that "This diagram shows the wiring layout for an earlier Mk III turret. There is no WS 38 fitted, and the traverse control mechanism did not have a speed control switch."

the turret on mine only contains WS No. 19 and the turret control mechanism does not have a speed control switch, only a 'turret traverse field cut off switch' a turret traverse motor and turret traverse controller.

might this point to a Mk III turret?

regards,

Haydn

the plans will probably be suitable for any of the early marks of churchills as they were all fairly common to each other, it would take a real expert to tie it own to an exact mark (if it is specific to that one) and i'm afraid i'm not that man.

thanks for sharing the pics.

rick

no worries, hope you enjoyed the pictures.