Duplex Drive Shermans on D-Day

Lauren Child

I cannot certainly remember where I read the following. Might have been Mallinson's history of the Light Dragoons or the official history of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars during the Second World War (latter is a free download, PDF 21MB, from: http://www.lightdragoons.org.uk/downloads.html ) or somewhere else.

As we probably know, Hobart raised 7 and 11 Armd Divs before raising 79. The story is told of Hobart inspecting the regiment (I am sure it was 15/19H) about 1942 and being well impressed at the nice shiny Covenanters until he told the drivers to jump in and start them up. Oh dear. Heads rolled.

Covenanters were most definitely not the world's greatest ever tank and while troops overseas were getting spares and shiny new tanks, those slaughtered in Belgium were having to make do with whatever could be spared.

Was the DD a solely British production? The numbers that Eddy has posted show that 230 were available in June, which works out around 45 per beach.

Given that the US had 64 at Omaha (according to the wikipedia numbers) they must have been deployed in different numbers to different beaches.

I seem to recall that DDs would have been a solely British production but it was far too slow and there would never have been enough until, following a demonstration early in 1944, the Americans took to them, joined in and started cranking them out in far greater numbers.