Rank Badges on a 1953 Pattern Smock

Enfield1940

Hi,

I've just acquired an issued 1953 Pattern Combat Smock and I note it once had Lance Corporal Stripes on the arms. I'm not untempted to refit it with some period correct examples - what should I be looking for? I've measured the stitch holes and quickly bodged up a correct scale stripe. (Blue Peter eat your heart out) Is this is a standard size badge?

Cheers,

Mark

P53 Smock +LCpl stripe.jpg

P53 Smock front.jpg

Hi there, that's the right shape for a L/Cpl stripe but what your looking for is a plain white example. Used in the 60's and 70's.

Plain white eh? Interesting. That might explain why some threads stuck in the lining look like faded white rather than brown. Could you point me at an illustration?

Cheers,

Mark

Not in great condition and on a 60Patt DPM Smock but these could be similar to the stripes style you are looking for

They could well be. Thanks for the pic.

Slightly odd request; if someone has a size 3 P53 or P60 smock to hand, could they tell me what it measures across the chest? I ask as the size label on the P53 smock above is faded out and I can't decide whether it's a size 3 or merely a generous size 2.

They could well be. Thanks for the pic.

Slightly odd request; if someone has a size 3 P53 or P60 smock to hand, could they tell me what it measures across the chest? I ask as the size label on the P53 smock above is faded out and I can't decide whether it's a size 3 or merely a generous size 2.

The 1960 pattern smock manufacturing specification size chart (dated '62, pre "modified" sleeve design) states that a Size 3 is for height 5'3" to 5'6" and chest 40"-43" and waist 34"-37"........edge to edge (excluding front flap) chest is 57 & 1/2" around, waist 49" and lower hem 56"............some of this should appear on the label.....

Essentially, the early (pre-63) 60 pattern smock is the same as the 51/52 pattern Korean issue but with the lining reduced to finish at waist level......but the cut and measurements were the same.........although some smocks (and trousers) will be longer in the body due to further mods introduced during the early 60s....

There were (as far as I know) no orders regarding the application of rank insignia to early combat dress........so many NCO's applied rank stripes and emblems as per battledress, whether tropical or European patterns..........

Restrictions on insignia worn on combat dress were generally regulated by individual units, and were really only made official following the introduction of DPM cammo clothing during 1970........in short, with the latter only rank insignia could be worn, plus para and flying wings........initially, this was of earlier patterns, but by the late 70's the subdued issue-pattern rank insignia was the norm........it was not until the 90s that the various coloured TRF and unit insignia began to reappear on combat clothing......

Edited by wdbikemad

It should be noted that the "herringbone tape" rank chevrons were available from stock to order in the various ranks......but, could also be assembled locally by unit tailors on material and sizes as required.........I still have a roll somewhere of the khaki herringbone rank braid....(about 30 metres)........plus about 50 of the similar RAF variety of the period.....all ex-WD stock......:-D