Hi From Down Under/ex RCEME

theduncans

12 years in Cdn Army53/65. 2 years in BAOR 55/57 spent a lot of time on recovery with diamond t's Macs and M62"s Rest of the time taught and was final inspector on completed repairs to veh. Also did Helicopter conversion but got out before the RCEME disapeared.

Love old military veh as a lot of the so called modern SUV's etc have thier beginings in Mil Veh.

Hi, welcome in. I served with a REME Armd workshops in Hamm Germany 1956 to 1958. I used to travel to the Canadian camps at Soest and Verle to collect the films for showing at the "Globe" cinema that we had situated just outside of our camp. We befriended some Canadian soldiers who occasionally spent Saturday nights in our camp. I remember discussing army pay with a couple of these guys and was surprised when they told me that they were paid better than the US troops.

Also that they were both shipping clerks, but at that time they could not find work in Canada, so enlisted.... great times, even if our pay was lousey.

I also remember that whilst I was riding WW11 motorcycles the Canadian guys used brand new Triumph motorcycles and the trucks were post war GMC 135s, I used to think that they sounded sweet, I did not know then that they were fitted with automatic gearboxes, the Canadian army continued with the GMC135, it did not catch on with the US army.

Hello, & Wellcome to the Forum. From an English Ex R.E.M.E Member!...........:laugh:

I did three tours at BATUS In Alberta & worked with some of your Infantry Guys who were attached to one of the units I was with there.

Amazed at the Quality of your Issue rations compared to our compo! Though your guys loved it!

Obviously, there was a LOT of Food Exchanging going on!.................:D

Enjoy it on here, you will make a lot of friends!